Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Delivery timeline(USA) - 333 hp Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delivery timeline(USA) - 333 hp Prestige

I'm wondering how my delivery experience for the 333 hp Q compares to that of others. In mid-October 2010 I ordered my graphite/espresso Q, S-line prestige, adaptive air suspension, sunroof delete. At that time, dealer thought delivery would be ~90 days. In December I learned that expected delivery is mid-March 2011. As I mentioned in an earlier post, dealer says there has been an nationwide allocation shortage of the 333 hp Q, which caused the delay. So, I will have a 5 month delivery time for the Q. Good news is that I will have it in another couple of months. I'm ok with the whole situation, as I like the dealer and have had good experience with them and my '07 Q4.2. But a 5 month delivery pipeline seems extreme. I've read elsewhere that Audi can't make Q's fast enough, and yet I've also read that they're plentiful in other countries. Given the attractive USA pricing of the Q, seems likely that Audi's allocation is biased toward higher profit countries. Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arkbbq
I'm wondering how my delivery experience for the 333 hp Q compares to that of others. In mid-October 2010 I ordered my graphite/espresso Q, S-line prestige, adaptive air suspension, sunroof delete. At that time, dealer thought delivery would be ~90 days. In December I learned that expected delivery is mid-March 2011. As I mentioned in an earlier post, dealer says there has been an nationwide allocation shortage of the 333 hp Q, which caused the delay. So, I will have a 5 month delivery time for the Q. Good news is that I will have it in another couple of months. I'm ok with the whole situation, as I like the dealer and have had good experience with them and my '07 Q4.2. But a 5 month delivery pipeline seems extreme. I've read elsewhere that Audi can't make Q's fast enough, and yet I've also read that they're plentiful in other countries. Given the attractive USA pricing of the Q, seems likely that Audi's allocation is biased toward higher profit countries. Thoughts?
I am certain this is the issue. Why sell them for 70K when you can get 120K somewhere else? They also have the Q5 on the same line so can make changes to change the Q7:Q5 at weill.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Q7's selling for $50k more somewhere else doesn't mean that Audi is profiting that money. Much of that is tax and other fees imposed by countries. Audi is making more profits elsewhere, but not the full difference.

Another issue regarding the Q7 3.0 TFSI had been the waterpump shortages to supply all the manufacturing lines, as well as the RVU/("recall") issues in the S4's, A6's, Q5's, and Q7's.

Audi's decision to prioritize the TDI engine, over the TFSI engine, as inferred above, is evident as well.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's your answer.

It's all about allocation from Germany to your local dealer.

People think they start building your car after you place an order. That's simply not true. Audi sends down the allocation every month, usually the 3rd week or so.

But there's no guarantee that your dealer will even get an allocation to build a q7 gasoline. So it doesn't matter even if you want one with a sold order deposit. You have to wait for a build slot.

So if you didn't get one in October, it gets bumped to November, and then December and so on. And then the 3 month build and ship time.

Maybe there's 2 or 3 people in front of you with sold order deposits. So you have to wait your turn

Good luck finding a gasoline prestige q7. There's virtually none in dealer stock & it's probably one of the hardest audis to get and order right now. There's a lot more tdi availability.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2 unsold prestige gassers coming into my dealer in the next week or so. Depends on where you are....
Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Even with an allocation there has been some delays. Mine was originally projected early december from the allocation. Currently projecting late january
Old 01-11-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Interesting....

Originally Posted by IAS5
2 unsold prestige gassers coming into my dealer in the next week or so. Depends on where you are....
My dealer is the only Audi dealer in one of the top ten largest US cities, so you'd think he would not be starving for allocation. He seems to have plenty of cars, but zero inventory of Q7's. Is a puzzlement. But ordering was a necessity for me anyway, as it seems unlikely to stumble upon the perfect inventoried gas prestige with sunroof delete.

-ark
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
Q7's selling for $50k more somewhere else doesn't mean that Audi is profiting that money. Much of that is tax and other fees imposed by countries. Audi is making more profits elsewhere, but not the full difference.

Another issue regarding the Q7 3.0 TFSI had been the waterpump shortages to supply all the manufacturing lines, as well as the RVU/("recall") issues in the S4's, A6's, Q5's, and Q7's.

Audi's decision to prioritize the TDI engine, over the TFSI engine, as inferred above, is evident as well.
You can't tell me Audi isn't making more money if they sell the car for $50K over the US price Sure the tax structure is different, but there are far more profitable places to sell cars than the US. Just look at the difference in price between the US and Canada on the SAME car. It can be massive.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone want my S-line gasser for 120K? It's yours, and I'll throw in the wife and kid no extra charge. Come to San Francisco and see it, I'll even take a check.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered my 2011 3.0t sline 21" wheels on 10-21-10 and that time was told the vehicle would be delivered the second week of 1/11. In mid November I received the bad news that the vehicle would be delivered in march 2011. At this time, the vehicle is to be delivered the week of march 14th. I was told the reason was a few things the pump which has been mentioned already,the manufacture of the 21" wheels out of business, and other misc. supply issues with other componets. I'm pretty bummed with the long delay. You think the dealer or audi has any responsibility for the delay because my lease for my m5 was up at end of December. I do have my 4runner that I was going to drive for 2 weeks still the car arrived but now having to do so for 3 months. It is killing me... I miss the luxury of my BMW m5.

Quick Reply: Delivery timeline(USA) - 333 hp Prestige