Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Detailed Dension Gateway 500 Installation instructions w/ lots of pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good write up, can I ask do you lose the CD changer when you install the Dension.

I only ask as I have a Dension in my E90 BMW with Idrive andmight move it to the Q7 as the Idrive is a bit quirkky with the dension.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Good write-up

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to post the installation of your Dension 500 with pics!
Without this thread I would have never got the idea of even add an aux to my Q7. I am tryin to add a aux input not the Dension. When I do the install I will try to post some additional pics to supplement your work here.. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fuse Rating.

Did you put any fuse in there? what was the rating?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can see his inline fuse on photo 12 just at the back of the dension unit. OR
When you drop the Glove box you will have access to the rear of the fuse box. You can release the whole fuse block line with one clip on the end at the front/outside allowing it to pull away inside the car. Then unclip the cover from the back. That will allow you to insert your wire or cable end from teh back and then use the dension supplied or violet 3 amp fuse in the actual car fuse block as one side is a bus bar with extra fuse slots available.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used a long bar to push from behind with one hand through the glove box space (take a peek first with a torch. You can see the back of it) At the same time release the retaining spring with your other hand. Once released unti moves foward a fraction. At this point use all your fingers to apply slight lift to vents. It moves another fraction release the other retaining spring and it suddenly shoots out. If you can get the tips of your fingers to the back of the unit after initial bar push you can actually tilt the unit down by lifting the back. Its one of those jobs that seems impossible but is actually quite easy. the springs make the first 1/2 inch (1.5cm) stiff but then its free. Its not actually up behind vents as much as it looks and will slide home afterwords easily.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

yup I put one in line too!!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Questions about functionality...

I just finished installing Gateway 500 in '07 Q7 thanks to the great info here and the Dension instructions. I do have some questions about proper operation to those who have been using the unit for some time now...

1. Is the only way to use CD changer by flipping the mode switch? I recall seeing some videos online where CDs were in CD1-CD6 positions, then iPod controls were in CD7, CD8, etc. No flipping into CDC mode needed. Selection was done by menu.

2. When using thumb drive in USB port, I do not see any tag info on screen. Is it possible to actually see the info like i see with iPod, CD, etc?

3. When listening to music in Gateway mode, volume is controllable by normal console and steering controls. I noticed after pressing volume thumb wheel no longer able to adjust volume. I have to press thumb wheel a couple more times to get back to where i can adjust volume again.

So far, sound is great. I'm just starting to use it more now and learning my way around since the included info is somewhat generic to accommodate multiple applications.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi,

1- I also need to switch the toggle between CD and iPod. That may be part of the dip switch settings.
2- Yes, I believe you need to manually tag each song for that to happen
3- I do not have this problem.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Pulling out the CD Changer from the dash

Thank you for the excellent instructions.

Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble getting out the gate with the installation, since I can't seem to pull the CD Changer out of the dash. I bought a pair of CD Removal Keys (pic below just in case), which "snapped" into place when I pushed them in the keyholes. However, when I tried to pull the unit out using them, it wouldn't budge. After some time, I pulled with yet greater force, only to yank out the keys - without the changer. Can you please suggest if I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks again for your help!
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you putting them in the correct way round? The curved side needs to be on the inside, so the straight edge is to the outside edge of the unit.

Once slotted in, the unit should move freely, even if you can't pull it all the way out. You may need to ease under the hazard switch. You don't need to use much force though.

Hope that helps

Quick Reply: Detailed Dension Gateway 500 Installation instructions w/ lots of pictures...