Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Detailed Dension Gateway 500 Installation instructions w/ lots of pictures...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground?

Thanks for the post! Can you be more detailed about exactly where to ground the unit? Maybe a photo too? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radiator2112
Thanks for the post! Can you be more detailed about exactly where to ground the unit? Maybe a photo too? Thanks!
There's a screw in the bottom-right corner of this pic holding the purple fuse-box thing on to the chassis.
Use this screw as your earthing point.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my Dension 500 installed, but it won't recognize the USB drive. I inserted a USB flash drive, but when I select the USB drive from the Source menu, it reverts to the iPodDW and keeps playing the song I was listening to before I tried to select the USB drive. Have you tried your USB drive yet?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try removing the iPod and see if you can select the USB drive then.
I also read somewhere that you have to index the USB drive before it will recognise the contents.

But no, I haven't tried playback from a USB drive yet.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does it let you still pick the songs using the ipad/iphone and not the inferior MMI interface?
Or does it push the device into remote mode?

This is my main problem with my iPhone connection with my mercedes.
I'm going to take my iPhone via the hidden AUX otherwise.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ouroboros
Does it let you still pick the songs using the ipad/iphone and not the inferior MMI interface?
Or does it push the device into remote mode?
No. It puts the device in remote/slave mode. Song selection is via the MMI.

Originally Posted by ouroboros
I'm going to take my iPhone via the hidden AUX otherwise.
If that's your preference, why are you looking at the Dension units. You'll pick up something much cheaper that hooks up via an analogue connection somewhere.

Easier still, get a stereo -> FM Transmitter and not have to chop into anything.

The benefit of the Dension is control via the MMI (including display on the Driver's in-dash Information System [DIS]) and integration directly into the car's Optical Fibre entertainment bus for superior sound quality.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I attached a USB drive without indexing and the Dension saw nothing. After some research on the Dension website, I found an indexer utility I could download that enabled me to index my USB drive on my computer before inserting it into the USB slot on the Dension:

http://www.dension.com/sites/default...wayindexer.zip

After unzipping the file, I tried to launch the program, but it said I needed Administrator privileges to continue. That was weird because I am the Administrator on my computer. Anyway, after I resolved the Administrator issue, I inserted my USB drive and launched the program and a few seconds later my USB drive was indexed. When I inserted the USB drive into the Dension it recognized it immediately and displayed all of my music! The USB drive worked both with and without my iPhone being connected.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 203 Likes on 144 Posts

Has anyone looked into this DICE unit that installs in line with the antenna? Will it work with an early Q7? (2007)? If so, is there any reason to go for the much more expensive Dension 500 (made by the same company?)

http://diceelectronics.com/fmrds-usb-pro
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks neat. How do you connect that up. Not all Q7s were equipped with a DAB reciever and the module is in the trunk. Seems simple at first glance but there is no quick connection route.
The Dension is interrupting the MOST circuit this is interrupting the antenna and requires a usb port.
be sure to report back if you get it.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sorry to resurface old thread

Sorry to resurface this thread but for people who are still interested in installing this, I installed mine in the trunk where the car's radio is. There is much more space there and you dont have to take apart anything. Now I dont plug my phone in, I just have an ipod that i use specifically in the car and i also dont use the Aux so no wire running through the car.
The location of the radio in the trunk is to the right side where there is a panel which you could pry open using a butter knife. there is also a fuse box there so power is provided however there is no metal screw for earthing so i just duct taped the earth wire to the metal slots which hold the radio console and nav console in place.

Quick Reply: Detailed Dension Gateway 500 Installation instructions w/ lots of pictures...