Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
View Poll Results: Did Audi make the right choices for the 2011 Q7?
Yes, having 400+ hp V8 and leather dash options would have no ROI for Audi
27.59%
No, they should have kept the V8 -- but who cares about leather dashboards?
24.14%
No, they should have made it even more upscale (400+ hp V8, leather dash, side cameras, etc.)
37.93%
Who cares?
10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Did Audi give up on a demographic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did Audi give up on a demographic?

Well, it's time for me to replace my 2007 Q7 4.2 S-line; ideally I'd replace it with another Q7, but Audi apparently doesn't care about my demographic... and, as many of you know, has no V8 option in the 2011 Q7 lineup, and also abandoned one of the things I loved about the 2008-2010 model years -- the leather dash option (that my 2007 also missed).

It is baffling to me that, as BMW and Porsche give their SUVs significant *upgrades* to their models and appeal to a more demanding audience, Audi decides to essentially go more mainstream and abandon the demanding audiences.

Now, you can tell me 100 times that the new 3.0T engine is just as good as the outgoing 4.2 FSI -- and that might be true, except for one thing: it doesn't SOUND as good. And for me, personally, the engine sound is a significant component of the pleasure of driving, and if I'm spending $70k+ for a fully loaded SUV I do not want to compromise; especially given Audi's own V8s sound beautiful.

BMW recognizes this and they have their brand new 4.4L Bi-Turbo V8 in their new 2011 X5. They, much like Audi, have a great V6 too, that is a much more "rational" choice, but unlike Audi they realize that having a V8 option -- as small as a demographic for that is -- is worth it for prestige (no pun intended) and owner loyalty.

I want a great-sounding V8 even if I can get 85% of the power from a V6 that is $5k cheaper. I'm crazy, I know, but purely rational people don't buy German cars. They buy Japanese.

The leather dash thing is an extension to this problem -- far less important to me, but very symptomatic. And, once again, BMW has that base covered.

Until recently, I couldn't imagine myself driving a BMW. Seriously. But BMW has done a brilliant job with the 2011 X5 -- it outmatches the Q7 in every single respect (it finally introduces their own ACC, one my must-have features) -- and I'm sorry to say BMW is going to win a customer over Audi this time.

Why? Because they realized that sticking a 400-hp V8 in an SUV makes sense -- to people like me.

So my question is: do you guys believe this was the right move on the part of Audi in the US? Or should they have continued to offer the more upscale options, including their also new 4.2 V8 (from the A8 and RS5)?
Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

I agree with you and knew about this when I placed my late order for the 2010 4.2 fsi which I received 2/1/2010.

Drove the X5 and have many issues with it...little stuff, nothing about the performance, love the performance and handling...enjoy your new ride.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Even though my criteria led me to a TDI I was a little surprised to see the V8 disappear when the '11 specs were released. It could be they just don't see an ROI in competing with Porsche and BMW for your particular segment of the market, it could be they are working to move fleet MPG averages up, or a bunch of other reasons or combinations thereof.

I like the direction Audi is going, and hope they continue to introduce more TDI models and keep up their current mix of tech, luxury and ergonomics which to me at least strikes the right cord.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe the TDI V12 is coming? Maybe they are waiting until the complete redo to introduce a new engine. an RS7 would be cool.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LOP
Drove the X5 and have many issues with it...little stuff, nothing about the performance, love the performance and handling...enjoy your new ride.
I haven't pulled the trigger on the X5 yet -- so I'm definitely curious about the issues you had with it... What were they? Can you elaborate?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PARealtor
maybe the TDI V12 is coming? Maybe they are waiting until the complete redo to introduce a new engine. an RS7 would be cool.
The TDI V12 is getting discontinued even in Europe, so no chance there. The S7 will NOT be an SUV based on the Q7, so odds are an RS7 wouldn't be either.

So the only likely option is that they come back with a V8 in the 2013 redo... Maybe, we'll see. I think a big factor will be how the new V8 is received in the A8 and RS5.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:58 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hspder
I haven't pulled the trigger on the X5 yet -- so I'm definitely curious about the issues you had with it... What were they? Can you elaborate?
I didn't like the backup camera at night...can hardly see anything

I didn't like the way 3rd row (cargo area) was air conditioned...vents are too low/hidden when 3rd row is folded flat...hard to keep the pets cool in the cargo area.

I wasn't wild about the shifter by wire mechanism, just takes some getting used to.

I don't like BMW's tolerance on their speedo...+10% -0 Why is BMW the only one that cannot seem to get their speedos right? Our MINI runs +7%...no other vehicle I own does this, I check it with handheld GPS to confirm.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LOP
I didn't like the backup camera at night...can hardly see anything
Didn't notice any difference to my Q7, which had the same issue... I'll definitely go back and test it out more carefully though before I buy, thanks for pointing it out.

Originally Posted by LOP
I didn't like the way 3rd row (cargo area) was air conditioned...vents are too low/hidden when 3rd row is folded flat...hard to keep the pets cool in the cargo area.
Not applicable to me really (I'm not getting the 3rd row nor I have pets...). But I can totally understand that in your case, the Q7's slightly better treatment of the rear area and extra length are a big deal; if I had pets and/or a larger family the X5 wouldn't be an option at all. Their Rear Seat Entertainment system sucks too by the way, but I guess getting a 3rd party one is an easy fix for that one.

Originally Posted by LOP
I wasn't wild about the shifter by wire mechanism, just takes some getting used to.
Agree 100% on that one. It is strange. But as you say it's just one thing that I hope I'd eventually get used to.

Originally Posted by LOP
I don't like BMW's tolerance on their speedo...+10% -0 Why is BMW the only one that cannot seem to get their speedos right? Our MINI runs +7%...no other vehicle I own does this, I check it with handheld GPS to confirm.
Well, I had the exact same problem on my Q7. Both my Mercs, on the other hand, are 100% accurate. I started a thread on that one a while back, and from the feedback I got I guess it's pretty random. My Q7 had a 10% error, but others' didn't. Poor QA I guess. Whichever car I end up getting I will make a point to test it out on delivery (with my PerformanceBox -- http://vboxusa.com/performancedrift/performancebox.php), and make a fuss about it if the problem is there. Maybe I can get the dealer to fix it -- after all it IS configurable/adjustable in the car's software. If the dealer doesn't fix it I do know a few people who can (they couldn't fix it in the Audi, but they can in the BMW). I'd be getting my ECU reprogrammed anyway.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Q7 speedo error? I thought mine is the only one...

These were taken while driving home from the dealer with 245 miles on the odo.

I regret that I didn't get the V8, at the time, price difference is minimal.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 07-13-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

I get about the same speedo error as Louis - something like several percent but not quite the 10% some have seen. My wife's A4 has the same ~5% error. I think manufacturer's intentionally highball the speedo readout, probably for liability issues or something. 10% seems like it would be excessive and maybe out of spec, but every car I've owned has had a roughly 5% discrepancy. I am reminded every day when I drive by the "Your speed is" radar displays around town. FWIW I think cops know this too, and try to trump up the MPH on speeding tickets, so it helps to know how much your car reads out over actual MPH/KPH.

Quick Reply: Did Audi give up on a demographic?