Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

looks a little too knight riderish for me. Just not feeling it
Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To followup on my DRL experiment,I found some CANBUS chipped (eliminates bulb out warning) LED bulbs to replace the OEM DRL incandescent bulbs, and installed them to match the DRL lights I installed previously. I'm pretty happy with the look and the lights are very bright during the day, and look awesome at dusk/nighttime. I'm planning to replace the OEM fog lights with these bulbs but might go with HIDs instead.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-25-2010, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

It matches the DRL you previously installed. Where did you buy the bulbs from?
Originally Posted by Savior Six
To followup on my DRL experiment,I found some CANBUS chipped (eliminates bulb out warning) LED bulbs to replace the OEM DRL incandescent bulbs, and installed them to match the DRL lights I installed previously. I'm pretty happy with the look and the lights are very bright during the day, and look awesome at dusk/nighttime. I'm planning to replace the OEM fog lights with these bulbs but might go with HIDs instead.

What do you guys think?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on where you bought these from.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the LED lights from:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDeta...Audi_DRL_SKU77

It only comes in one length (12") Thats why I didn't mount it under the turn signals. I would of had to cut some of the plastic, and I though it would look to random under the turn signals because they're short. I admit they are pretty bright they have 9 1 watt LED's so they are bright from all angles. I wired them to the DRL. I'll ride with them for a little while and decide whether to keep them there or not.
Hey they are on sale! And extra 20% storewide! I am getting them for my wife's R class. I think they will fit perfectly over the fog lights.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, I second that. Where did you buy the replacement DRL LEDs?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry For the delay on the post, I just got back in town. The LED replacement bulbs for the OEM DRL are BA15s (1156 single circuit bulbs) Do not buy the 1157 dual circuit bulbs since the leads are offset and will not work.

You can buy them from :

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

I've bought numerous LED bulbs from these guys for my motorcycles and my cars, they are a good company with great customer service.

The ones I am using are the 23 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS. They come in White, red or Amber, I have the White ones. When you click on the link, scroll down almost to the end. They cost $14.99, make sure you buy the BA15s that matches this description:

23 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS + Advanced Patented Circuitry
20 high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 3 high powered SMT forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings
High Powered 3 Chip SMT Leds - Outfitted with Canbus Bulb-Out Warning Cancellation Chip
Designed to eliminate most electronic bulb-out warnings in BMW, Mercedes, AUDI, VW, Volvo, and most others.

Hope this helps, I highly recommend these bulbs, and no bulb out warnings!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome. Thanks for the info; just ordered a pair.

I've noticed that the interior lighting is rather dim, especially in the 2nd row and with the brightness setting all the way up. Got any suggestions for what bulbs to use there?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

GomerPyle

I'm waiting to get the Q7 Service manual so i can take apart the Dome/Map light housing without breaking it. : )

The OSRAM -Sylvania LAMP replacement guide refers to the Map/Dome light as a 6411 bulb that would translate to a 6418, 38mm Festoon Dome LED bulb, similar to the LED bulbs I have in my tail lights. Don't quote me since I have not taken apart the Dome/map housing to verify. I'm planning to upgrade the dome light to White LED's and the map lights to Red LED bulbs. Let me know if you figure out how to take apart the dome/map light housing. I'll post pics as soon as I can get around to doing it myself.

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Awesome. Thanks for the info; just ordered a pair.

I've noticed that the interior lighting is rather dim, especially in the 2nd row and with the brightness setting all the way up. Got any suggestions for what bulbs to use there?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tail lights

Sorry For the delay on the post, I just got back in town. The LED replacement bulbs for the OEM DRL are BA15s (1156 single circuit bulbs) Do not buy the 1157 dual circuit bulbs since the leads are offset and will not work.

You can buy them from :

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

I've bought numerous LED bulbs from these guys for my motorcycles and my cars, they are a good company with great customer service.

The ones I am using are the 23 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS. They come in White, red or Amber, I have the White ones. When you click on the link, scroll down almost to the end. They cost $14.99, make sure you buy the BA15s that matches this description:

23 High Powered Wide Angle SMT LEDS
These Bulbs have Advanced Surface Mount Technology LEDS + Advanced Patented Circuitry
20 high powered SMT side facing LEDS - 3 high powered SMT forward facing LEDS
Only 20mm diameter x 52mm overall - fits all stock housings
High Powered 3 Chip SMT Leds - Outfitted with Canbus Bulb-Out Warning Cancellation Chip
Designed to eliminate most electronic bulb-out warnings in BMW, Mercedes, AUDI, VW, Volvo, and most others.

Hope this helps, I highly recommend these bulbs, and no bulb out warnings!
Have you tried them for the tail lights?
Thanks

Quick Reply: DRL LED Experiment