Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

ECU remap tuning for 3.6 Q7 and other mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU remap tuning for 3.6 Q7 and other mods

Has anyone tried the Unitronic ECU remap for the Q7 3.6? I just got a 2008 and love it. I upgraded from a 4.2 Touareg and I notice a slight difference in power. I thought it would be worse, but is not so bad. I would however like to get more. I have only found one company selling a ECU reflash for it and that is from Unitronic. I am reluctant to do that without getting some feedback. I used Unitronic on my VW R32 VR6 and it worked well. Their HP claim on 91 octane seems a bit high, but for a N/A flash, but who knows. Below is the link. Also, are there other mods for more power? On the Touareg you could remove two of the 4 cats, I don't know if that is an option on this. Thanks.

http://www.unitronic-chipped.com/aud...fsi_280hp.html
Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure would like to hear some real world reviews as well.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
Sure would like to hear some real world reviews as well.
I will also like to hear feedback on the remap.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I guess someone has to go first. I would want to see a dyno sheet before going forward. Although I liked the flash I got for my R32, I have heard that Unitronic is not good with communications with customers sometimes. If the dyno is anywhere near 300hp with this flash, count me in. 20hp on a naturally aspired engine tune is impressive. I was inspecting the engine compartment today to familiarize myself with where stuff is located. I noted how much space there is in there. I couldn't help but to think of a nice supercharger kit on this sucker. I put one on my R32 (VF Stage II). I think it would be possible and if similar to my R32 kit, it could make an additional 100hp with no problem. Ok, I will stop dreaming now. Someday, someday.

One more thing, Audi has this listed at 280hp. Has anyone gotten a dyno of the stock engine wheel HP? I wonder if Audi does what VW does by lying about the real HP in order to build certain gaps in performance between different trim levels. So, if the 4.2 was really close in power to the 3.6, why pay more. Just curious. This can sometimes make these ECU remaps seem like they are making more power than they really are. My Touareg had 310hp. If I can get this 3.6 close to that, I will be happy.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gringoloco2000
I guess someone has to go first. I would want to see a dyno sheet before going forward. Although I liked the flash I got for my R32, I have heard that Unitronic is not good with communications with customers sometimes. If the dyno is anywhere near 300hp with this flash, count me in. 20hp on a naturally aspired engine tune is impressive. I was inspecting the engine compartment today to familiarize myself with where stuff is located. I noted how much space there is in there. I couldn't help but to think of a nice supercharger kit on this sucker. I put one on my R32 (VF Stage II). I think it would be possible and if similar to my R32 kit, it could make an additional 100hp with no problem. Ok, I will stop dreaming now. Someday, someday.

One more thing, Audi has this listed at 280hp. Has anyone gotten a dyno of the stock engine wheel HP? I wonder if Audi does what VW does by lying about the real HP in order to build certain gaps in performance between different trim levels. So, if the 4.2 was really close in power to the 3.6, why pay more. Just curious. This can sometimes make these ECU remaps seem like they are making more power than they really are. My Touareg had 310hp. If I can get this 3.6 close to that, I will be happy.
We also had a Touareg 4.2 V8 before our Q7 3.6. I don't really notice much difference, since the 4.2 only has 310hp in the Touareg(350hp for the Q7 version). The Q7 is lighter than the VW so the difference is miniscule. I seriously doubt a reflash will net 20hp on an N/A engine. Maybe with headers, CAI and exhaust along with it. To me reflashes are really only good for FI motors.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you will be on your own here. No one - myself included - bought their Q7 3.6 because of the power. It is my wife's car and could have a 2-cylinder diesel for all she cares. As long as it will haul the kids, be comfortable, and look nice, she is good to go.

I think your efforts would be best spent making your other car fast assuming the Q7 is not your only vehicle. If you wanted a fast Q7, you should have picked any of the other 3 engines available.

Jimbo