Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

ESP Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP Light

Greetings!

(Preface: I did a search prior to posting this.)

2009 Q7 (US specs)

ESP light just came on tonight. Says to check owner's manual, which I did and didn't really find anything except an explanation of what the ESP is.

From my search, it seems like I need to replace the brake light switch? (But my ABS light is not on, nor to my knowledge, has it ever been on.) Is this correct? From what I read, it is a $22 part... is it easy to install?

Not worried about working on the vehicle as I have driven Land Rovers for the past 20 years, everything from Series 109's to Discoveries to Range Rovers. (Insert Land Rover Lucas "Prince of Darkness" joke here.)

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In that case, you must be pleasantly comforted by something going wrong!

I don't think that the problem is your brake light switch, although it's a cheap and quick fix if it is - it takes about 5 minutes to swap it over. I followed that route on a Seat Ibiza a couple of weeks ago and it was the 40A fuse on top of the battery casing. The symptoms were different though - that had ABS and ESP lights on. I would check all fuses carefully - especially the bolted down flat link type - there must be some possibly in the fuse box at the bottom of the windscreen.
Failing that we really need codes - VAG-COM is required here I think....

Last edited by Edd W; 12-08-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
In that case, you must be pleasantly comforted by something going wrong!

I don't think that the problem is your brake light switch, although it's a cheap and quick fix if it is - it takes about 5 minutes to swap it over. I followed that route on a Seat Ibiza a couple of weeks ago and it was the 40A fuse on top of the battery casing. The symptoms were different though - that had ABS and ESP lights on. I would check all fuses carefully - especially the bolted down flat link type - there must be some possibly in the fuse box at the bottom of the windscreen.
Failing that we really need codes - VAG-COM is required here I think....
Thank you Edd W! I will check all the fuses and I will have the codes read. I will report back what I find.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I should also add that with this past big storm we had, there was water on the passenger side floorboard. I could not find any debris (leaves, dirt, etc.) around the sunroof area that would block the proper flow of drainage. Something could be blocked or it could be the fact that the storm was one of the worst we've had in a while.

Forgot to mention that and thought maybe it could have an effect on the ESP? No other electronics have issues at this time.