Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

haunted tailgate closes on head...help !

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default haunted tailgate closes on head...help !

Hi All, 2007 q7 weirdest thing... with tailgate open and no one entering or exiting the car; after (and only after) 30 seconds if you open a door the tailgate automatically closes. It also happens if you have a door open as well as the tailgate and after 30 seconds close a door the tailgate comes down without warning. This is also the case if the hood and the tailgate are open and after thirty seconds you go to close the hood instantly the tailgate closes automatically. The fact both my wife and i have closed a door after unloading the kids and walk to the back only to have it come down automatically. To put it bluntly it hurts and we are afraid it might hit one of the kids one day if they are helping unload or load under the tailgate.. Any thoughts on this on?
Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ideas: Water in the tailgate closing switch. Damage in the loom at the hinge. Bad earth to the interior lights. It will be throwing up fault codes anyway so may as well get it checked out.
When I was fitting my Kufatec comfort closing module (remote close by fob) I triggered my tailgate to close on me twice by touching one wire. The Green and Yellow wire to ground is the signal to close. Anything interfering with it will cause the action.
You could experiment by turning off interior lights to see if that stops it happening.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is this a power tailgate? If not, since it is getting colder out, Worn shocks usually start showing their age around the cold weather. Mine are starting to do the same thing since the temp has dropped below 40. Mine's also a 2007.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes it is a power tailgate. tried with the interior lights switched to off but it still does it. it even does it when opening or closing the hood! it is seriously haunted though doing it consistently so i am really hoping something simple.. i even gently open the door and before the foot lights illuminate the tailgate starts to close. must get a cable to hook up the vagcom i guessing to find out if any short to ground that would lead me in the right direction ... any others ever experience this? just4fun should i tear out the close switch and inspect for water damage to begin with?