Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Headlights On With Auto-Wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights On With Auto-Wipers?

Audi newbie here: It seemed that my 2015 Q7 did not turn on the lights (headlights/taillights) the last time I drove it in the rain and the auto-wipers turned on. Before questioning the dealer I wanted to do a little research and....

Soooooooooooooooo - what I am reading in various threads on the forum is that Audi vehicles do not automatically turn on the headlights when the auto-wipers turn on. Is this really the case?

With all the safety and technology built into Audi, and Audi leading the way of autonomous driving cars I cannot believe that Audi vehicle does not turn on the headlights when the auto-wipers turn on.

Again: Is this really the case?

Kind Regards!
Old 01-12-2015, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Mine don't turn on.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Providing the lighting switch is in the Auto position then the lights on UK and European models turn on if the wipers are activated for at least three consecutive wipes.
I cannot speak for US models but if they don't then it's a US configuration thing, not the car itself.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 389 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I cannot speak for US models but if they don't then it's a US configuration thing, not the car itself.

Maybe it's something in the coding. It's possible our friends at Ross-Tech know if it can be enabled on USA cars.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Maybe it's something in the coding. It's possible our friends at Ross-Tech know if it can be enabled on USA cars.
I'll bet that it can.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the headlight rule was put into effect long before there were DRL. the drl may act as lights on during rain and if needed the headlights come on. as edd stated they do come on if you leave them in auto mode.

i have e-codes installed and they are coded for the EU region. the headlights activate when wipers are on. i do not know if they didn't do this before since i installed the headlights when i purchased the vehicle.

another option is to increase the sensitivity to the light sensor which turns the headlights on and off. i have reduced mine by 20%. it goes on when entering parking garages or narrow spaces etc. instead of waiting for sundown or night time.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
the headlight rule was put into effect long before there were DRL. the drl may act as lights on during rain and if needed the headlights come on. as edd stated they do come on if you leave them in auto mode.

I am sure the DRLs are sufficient for front lighting. My concern is not having taillights on when raining. I've owned American vehicles (Lincoln and Jeep) that cost much less than the Q7 and they automatically turned on the head/tail lights when auto-wipers turned on. Granted it is not a huge deal to turn the light switch from "auto" to the manual on-setting, but seems a bit ridiculous given the advanced technology of Audi. - And considering that the rear wiper will automatically turn on if raining and in reverse (pretty cool feature)

i have e-codes installed and they are coded for the EU region. the headlights activate when wipers are on. i do not know if they didn't do this before since i installed the headlights when i purchased the vehicle.
How does one acquire/install e-codes?

another option is to increase the sensitivity to the light sensor which turns the headlights on and off. i have reduced mine by 20%. it goes on when entering parking garages or narrow spaces etc. instead of waiting for sundown or night time
How do I adjust the light sensor sensitivity? My MMI Settings do not have the option to adjust the sensitivity. see pictures...

Am I not in the correct settings?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

they should come on after a series of wipes are recognized. not one wipe or reverse wipe.

e-codes are purchased from a dealer in europe (rhd/lht) or from one of the vendors on here who can source them for you. retail on them is $4k for the pair plus labor + coding.

sensitivity is adjusted through vagcom/vcds. you have to purchase it in order access the settings. many more uses and worth every dollar and if you buy e-codes you may use it to code the headlights for ROW. if you were local i would code it for you for free or a firm handshake but considering you're quite a bit away from me i can't help you out with that.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Fwiw, the 2014 MB M-Class does not turn on the headlights with the washers either; and it's the law to do so here in Georgia.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
sensitivity is adjusted through vagcom/vcds. you have to purchase it in order access the settings. many more uses and worth every dollar and if you buy e-codes you may use it to code the headlights for ROW. if you were local i would code it for you for free or a firm handshake but considering you're quite a bit away from me i can't help you out with that.
Thanks for the info. I will look into Vagcom.

Quick Reply: Headlights On With Auto-Wipers?