Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Hitch Mount Bike Rack for Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitch Mount Bike Rack for Q7

I wonder which hitch-mount bike rack works the best for Q7. I would like to carry 3-4 bikes at once.

Are the Yakima bike racks better than the Thule bike racks?

Will the mounted bikes interfere with the operation of the parking sensors or the side-assist sensors?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have an older thule 4 bike model (non-folding model) and it works fine.

Definitely drives the parking sensors crazy but did not impact the side-assist.

The back hatch opens and clears without putting the rack in the "kneeling" mode. Since the motor would just smack the door into anything closer, I think that this may be the key decision making point.

Using it with factory tow package. The hitch is was a 1 1/4 hitch model which has been updated with a 2 inch adaptor from Uhaul. I point this out in case this gives me another inch or two in length.

Rear angle of "attack(?)" is definitely different so need to watch driveways, etc.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: Thule Revolver is nice

I've used the Thule Revolver on my FJ Cruiser with mountain bikes and a Volvo XC90 with a mix of road and MTN. I find that taking one mounting position off (so capacity is only 3 then) makes for easier bike mounting without messing about with removal of pedals, rotating handlebars, etc. 4 road bikes is do-able but admittedly a tight fit.

Getting ready for first use on the Q7. Had it mounted in the factory tow package last night...seemed great. You do have to rotate the bikes out to the back or side a touch to be able to open the rear hatch. My experience has been that you want to do that anyway to get closer to whatever load is in back. On the Volvo XC90 with the split rear gate (about 8" folds down like a tailgate and the remainder is the hatch that lifts up) it is possible to raise the hatch without swinging the rack out of the way at all. Was handy for little things like grabbing a jacket or giving the dog some food/water but for loading or unloading I'd always swing it out. The Thule Revolver (964) is very easy to use and very solid...almost no sway or bob even with bikes stacked all the way to the outermost reach. Just turn one handle, pull a latch and you can swing the whole rack out, back and all the way to the side...very slick.

I've always liked Thule stuff more than Yakima...but cannot comment on differences as I've never owned anything from Yak.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Thank you very much for your detailed response. Do you have the Thule Revolver 964? Or, do you use an older version of the Thule Revolver? Anyway, I am glad to hear that the Thule Revolver bike rack remains very solid even if it is loaded with bikes and unfolded to the outermost reach. I was worried that it might not be very stable with 3-4 bikes loaded on the rack and scratch the car. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Re: I have an older thule 4 bike model (non-folding model) and it works fine.

It seems like Q7 owners prefer the Thule bike racks over the Yakima racks.

Can you still pick up enough information through the rear-view camera when you back up? Or, is the view pretty much blocked by the bikes loaded on the rack?

Thank you very much!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I got the Revolver Spring of '07. Forgot to mention the built in locks--it locks to the hitch and locks the bikes to the rack.

At the hitch it utilizes its own threaded pin on the receiver. This snugs the mount so there is zero play in the hitch. That is what helps there to be no movement even when loaded up. Then a lock fits over the tip of the pin to secure it.

On the rack, two cables neatly stow into the bars of the upright and the arm. To lock, you pull them out and click the lock into place and turn the key.

Same key fits both locks.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I'm loading up tomorrow...

and I'll let you know how the view is. Two kids mountain bikes and my road bike.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 PM

So yours is pretty new.
The Thule Revolver seems to be easier to manage than the counterpart from the Yakima (Yakima FULLSWING). That's great!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: I'm loading up tomorrow...

Thanks! Please let me know.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

camera shows mostly bikes so you'll have to judge usefulness for yourself

Quick Reply: Hitch Mount Bike Rack for Q7