Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Increase trunk space in Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increase trunk space in Q7?

Has anyone considered taking out the spare on the Q7 to increase storage space in your trunk? Seems like most newer cars don't come with spare tires anymore. I wonder why Audi doesn't offer an option to 'delete' the spare for those who want more storage in their trunk?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the cars that usually do not come with a spare come with run flat tires. the cars that do not have a spare that do not have run flats are performance street cars which then get a can of 'sealant' which does not work. you can remove the spare from the q7 if you like and the post that holds it in along with the tools and equipment but i think it is pointless...

what exactly are you hauling that you need an additional three feet of cargo space?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

We have just come across limited space a couple times per year when we go on a big trip. We used to have a Volvo XC90 which seemed to fit everything. I figured that if the space below the trunk were available it would probably be sufficient. Would be nice if they offered a bigger molded box for those who want to take advantage of the entire space. When we checked out the Mercedes ML, they decided to drop the spare as well and just have some sort of spray bottle.

For the relatively large size of the Q7 it has great 1st and 2nd row space, but the trunk is on the smaller side.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Feel free to go on a big trip without a spare. I wouldn't want to do that. There are still enough remote areas without cell phone coverage that I would not want to count on being able to call someone. On my old MDX and if we need to on the new Q7, and I was carrying more people and stuff that can fit, I used a roof rack. With the Q7, I have the hitch on there too, so I have the added option of adding a hitch luggage rack that would probably have less impact on fuel use being behind the vehicle rather than on top.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lucas
We have just come across limited space a couple times per year when we go on a big trip. We used to have a Volvo XC90 which seemed to fit everything. I figured that if the space below the trunk were available it would probably be sufficient. Would be nice if they offered a bigger molded box for those who want to take advantage of the entire space. When we checked out the Mercedes ML, they decided to drop the spare as well and just have some sort of spray bottle.

For the relatively large size of the Q7 it has great 1st and 2nd row space, but the trunk is on the smaller side.
pack lite! just kidding around, but on a serious note i never felt that the Q7 was short on cargo space. it definitely does make use of the passenger space more than cargo space but you can move the seats forward to create more cargo room. unless you're talking about the third row being in use and there isnt enough cargo room, then i agree with you 100% that the cargo area is lacking. if that is the case you will have to purchase a roof box and utilize the roof rack.

a nice touch is if you go this route you can take it to a body shop and have them spray it the same color as the vehicle and it blends in a bit better.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Possible option

With the tow package you can also try a hitch mounted cargo box. I'm looking at giving one a try this summer.

http://www.stowaway2.com/How-does-th...r-Compare.aspx

Last edited by edgeq7; 05-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.