Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Intermittent Problem: TPMS Fault + ESC Light = Moderate Shaking/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Problem: TPMS Fault + ESC Light = Moderate Shaking/Vibration

I have a 2012 Audi Q7 3.0T.

WHAT: Intermittently I get a "TPMS Fault" error and an Electronic Stability Control light (they always occur together), and something in the computer seems to kick in, that makes the car moderately vibrate/shake while driving.

WHEN: The issue only occurs randomly, but regularly. Often when I drive, neither error (TPMS/ESC) occur, and the car does not shake. Most of the time, if the error does occur, it happens when I first start the car. However, sometimes the error occurs after driving for some time. There is no clear pattern, but it happens semi-regularly (e.g., 1 of 5 times I use the car in a random pattern).

WHAT I'VE DONE: Just took my car to the mechanic. They checked the TPMS sensors and all appeared to be ok. Computer indicated a coil spring on one of the cylinders needed to be replaced, which they are doing, but I don't have much faith that is related to the problem.

Please help! Thank you experts! -Bret
Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thorium
I have a 2012 Audi Q7 3.0T.

WHAT: Intermittently I get a "TPMS Fault" error and an Electronic Stability Control light (they always occur together), and something in the computer seems to kick in, that makes the car moderately vibrate/shake while driving.

WHEN: The issue only occurs randomly, but regularly. Often when I drive, neither error (TPMS/ESC) occur, and the car does not shake. Most of the time, if the error does occur, it happens when I first start the car. However, sometimes the error occurs after driving for some time. There is no clear pattern, but it happens semi-regularly (e.g., 1 of 5 times I use the car in a random pattern).

WHAT I'VE DONE: Just took my car to the mechanic. They checked the TPMS sensors and all appeared to be ok. Computer indicated a coil spring on one of the cylinders needed to be replaced, which they are doing, but I don't have much faith that is related to the problem.

Please help! Thank you experts! -Bret
Hello,

Did you find out what the problem was ?

I have the same problem and it will be nice to find out what it is.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my '15 had this (except for the vibrations)months ago.

ABS Module replaced under warranty.....
Old 10-20-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It was indeed the "coil spring on one of the cylinders needed to be replaced" issue (onboard computer told the mechanic).

I'm guessing that issue caused vibration or some other side effect that set off those other sensors.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

It was indeed the "coil spring on one of the cylinders needed to be replaced" issue (onboard computer told the mechanic).

I'm guessing that issue caused vibration or some other side effect that set off those other sensors.
I'm curious. Our Q7s do not have tire pressure sensors. The system detects a tire with low pressure by comparing rotation speeds with the other tires. It uses the stability control wheel speed sensors to do this. I was about to suggest that you have the vehicle scanned for a faulty wheel sensor when I read your post quoted above. What coil spring on what cylinder? Could he have meant a brake caliper was dragging and been talking about one of the caliper cylinders? ( Just a wild guess)
Old 10-21-2016, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If possible, see if you can get the Trouble codes read from your vehicle. The issue you are describing sounds similar to a possible intermittent wheel speed sensor fault, so your vehicle should have a stored code. I would take it to a shop that knows how to read ABS/ESC codes.

The shaking you are describing might be your vehicle thinking that you are loosing traction and initiating traction control or stability control event, but since you are not actually in an event the brake controller will set a light. Does it feel or sound similar to when your traction control or stability control comes on?

The "coil spring" being referred to is probably an ignition coil. This does not sound like the issue you are having, as this would definitely not cause your ESC/TPMS light . You would likely also have a rough idle or a vibration during acceleration.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 256 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by GTPlus
If possible, see if you can get the Trouble codes read from your vehicle. The issue you are describing sounds similar to a possible intermittent wheel speed sensor fault, so your vehicle should have a stored code. I would take it to a shop that knows how to read ABS/ESC codes.

The shaking you are describing might be your vehicle thinking that you are loosing traction and initiating traction control or stability control event, but since you are not actually in an event the brake controller will set a light. Does it feel or sound similar to when your traction control or stability control comes on?

The "coil spring" being referred to is probably an ignition coil. This does not sound like the issue you are having, as this would definitely not cause your ESC/TPMS light . You would likely also have a rough idle or a vibration during acceleration.
Ah! "coil pack" That fits what his mechanic described to him and like you I predict that that is not the problem either. It would be very strange for a tire pressure warning to be caused by a faulty coil pack. I HAVE seen some strange stuff though. I'm still betting that a wheel speed sensor is going bad too.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can I just confirm, all your issues were resolved just by changing the COIL PACK on one of your Cylinders?

I am having exactly the same problems but my dealer said I need to replace my ECU already, which is very expensive. How much did your Coil Pack replacement cost?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Swap Coil packs around and see if if the trouble code moves to another cyl.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2011 AUDI Q7 PROBLEMS

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum but I have a 2011 Audi Q7 and about a week ago, my wife was driving the car and she said that my service engine light was on (Strange) because I had driven it earlier and nothing. The next morning I got up and went to work but before I was out of the driveway, service engine, TPMS, Stability Track, EPS sign were all on and the car was rumbling and upon acceleration, the vibration became worst. I toke it to the shop and he said he was getting all kinds of intermittent codes. Miss fires and the whole nine. Any ideas???

Quick Reply: Intermittent Problem: TPMS Fault + ESC Light = Moderate Shaking/Vibration