Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Intermittent Problem: TPMS Fault + ESC Light = Moderate Shaking/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 778 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by FGCUK
Hi everyone, first time Audi owner. Purchased a q7 2015 last Friday. Everything was fine when I first checked the vehicle, however as I was about to leave the dealership, had the stabilisation fault ESC & TPMS fault. The dealer kept hold of the car to diagnose and repair, and since then their workshop manager called me and told me it needs a new ecu.
I’m no mechanic, but my question is this: should this have been picked up by the dealer before they handed the car over?
the dealer pride themselves on putting the car through a 100 point check before I came to collect, as well as a service and a fresh MOT.
just wondering if I should cut my losses at this point and cancel the sale, as if it should have been picked up, what else could they have missed?
many thanks in advance
Dealerships, and especially Audi dealerships/'stealerships' are not known for their mad troubleshooting skills...Audi tends to say "it needs this part replaced" with great confidence, and then they replace it and see if the recommended part swap actually fixed/had any impact on the underlying problem or not. Things like this can be nonexistent or intermittent until they aren't, and often it is related to a bad sensor or an obscure fuse location (located beneath the plenum...not the 'normal' fuse box) that has gone bad. It's possible the prior owner experienced the same issue and either couldn't figure it out or simply decided that was the exit queue, and moved on/traded it while the car was still operable.

It's not that it can't be fixed, but it requires actual troubleshooting/research on the specific underlying symptoms...the flashy dash lights can often distract from the real underlying issue, etc. I'd say if swapping the ECU 'fixes' the issue, then that's a win for you. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the 4L Q7's quirks and 'known service/repair expectations', or you may be in for a bit of a shock...great cars so long as you know what you are buying into. An extended, aftermarket warranty can be a great value if you don't DIY.

Study on the 'known issues' here:
https://differentcarreview.com/2019/...-4l-2005-2015/

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 04-06-2024 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issue and replacing the ABS cable on my front left wheel solved the problem. Bought frrm ebay for 30 bucks. New is priced for about 250.