Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Introduction-New to Audis

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98a6quattro
Do yourself a favor and just buy a nice Garmin GPS. they come with Bluetooth 3D many more points of interest and portability for 3 to 400 for a nice unit. The Audi one does not let you search for places by typing in the name. Granted its nice to have the built in unit but not for 2k.
I have a portable garmin with all I need for gps but it does not come even close to what Audi NAV is when you drive on the road and when it gives driving instructions. Garmin does not lower wour radio volume down when you need to hear it, unless you don't have radio or CD or AMI source on when driving.

With Audi NAV you can also easily repeat the driving instruction just by pressing the steering wheel button. No need to lean forward to reach the Grarming sitting on the dash to repeat the instruction you probably did not hear as your radio volume was not lowering during Garming telling where to turn.

Yes, it is pricey but hey, so is the car.

Arrie
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a rental car last week and asked for dash mounted GPS (A garvin) and it is far and away easier, better graphically and more feature rich than the MMI Nav. Seriously I was jealous and bummed that the car manufacturers are SO far behind the consumer electronics industry, its really sad. What is even more sad, is that FORD (yes and in Ford) seems to get this better than the Japanese and Germans. What the hell goes on in these car company board rooms? "Hey, let get some 90's graphics and use a .5 ghz processor and charge as much as MacPro."

Save your money and upgrade the stereo and fog-lights.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrie
I have a portable garmin with all I need for gps but it does not come even close to what Audi NAV is when you drive on the road and when it gives driving instructions. Garmin does not lower wour radio volume down when you need to hear it, unless you don't have radio or CD or AMI source on when driving.

With Audi NAV you can also easily repeat the driving instruction just by pressing the steering wheel button. No need to lean forward to reach the Grarming sitting on the dash to repeat the instruction you probably did not hear as your radio volume was not lowering during Garming telling where to turn.

Yes, it is pricey but hey, so is the car.

Arrie
Well, that might really be the difference between you and I Arriel, I have the vocal directions turned off, I can't stand the voice cutting into my tunes. So given your experience, I would recant a bit and say that if turn-by-turn audio is important, than maybe the MMI is more valuable.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good replies all around. Both pro and con. But, I think we are going to go for the in-dash nav. Besides, we are getting for half-off since the dealer is picking up half of it.

Arrie, great info on the voice activation button on the steering wheel. You are absolutely right about the "Button no Active" prompt when I push it. I'll have the dealer change that while we are at it. Thanks for the gouge.

Keep it coming, fellas. And, thanks!