Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Invision removal - need some basics please

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invision removal - need some basics please

Hi folks,

Hate to barge in on a first post did try the search function.

My Q7 lease is up and I need to return the car in a few days, would love to remove the after market entertainment system (dealer installed but post-lease) - basically:

* Pulling out both front seat headrests and putting back the OEM ones
* Getting the control unit out from under the center console

Dont care too much about the center unit figured I'd be happy to keep the headrest units if anything for the displays that I can use for other applications.

But sat there like an idiot trying to yank the headrests off and it just would not work.

Is there a trick to removing the headrests or am I just being shy / dealing with cable pulls?

Any tips appreciated!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is an istall thread by Audikwoo! Here is a raecent thread about seat back removal on Q5. AFAIK Q7 is the same
Q5 seatback removal
Recent install thread
There used to be pics back in 07 but that poster moved or lost his online storage so the links and pics vanished. I cannot remember the trick but when you remove the seatback you will probably see what is retaining them.
There are also a few pics floating around of the centre console stripped out and how to posts. Take a browse through the Q7 spreadsheet for links to pics and threads too if you have hours!
Good luck. Take pics and report back!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default considering selling the entertainment system?

Originally Posted by RQ_GT3
Hi folks,

Hate to barge in on a first post did try the search function.

My Q7 lease is up and I need to return the car in a few days, would love to remove the after market entertainment system (dealer installed but post-lease) - basically:

* Pulling out both front seat headrests and putting back the OEM ones
* Getting the control unit out from under the center console

Dont care too much about the center unit figured I'd be happy to keep the headrest units if anything for the displays that I can use for other applications.

But sat there like an idiot trying to yank the headrests off and it just would not work.

Is there a trick to removing the headrests or am I just being shy / dealing with cable pulls?

Any tips appreciated!
What color are the headrest monitors and would you consider selling the whole system?
Old 02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. Unfortunately no, the Q5 seatbacks are different I just went to try and the backing in the Q7 wraps around a bit.

During my earlier searches it seemed that removing the seatback involved replacing the clips, which were single-use.

As far as selling them, yes I have no use for them but thought the displays could be used for a fun project in the future rather than just turning them in to the dealer (maybe a backup cam for my car trailer). They are black BTW.

My problem is that I drop off the car Sunday and I'm busy all day tomorrow - but if the color works for you and you really want them maybe I can have the service dept at the dealer remove them for me if I pay them for an hour of labor or so. After all they installed it so they should know the process well.

Unless someone comes up with a magic trick I'll give that a shot on Sunday.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default selling entertainment system

Originally Posted by RQ_GT3
Thanks. Unfortunately no, the Q5 seatbacks are different I just went to try and the backing in the Q7 wraps around a bit.

During my earlier searches it seemed that removing the seatback involved replacing the clips, which were single-use.

As far as selling them, yes I have no use for them but thought the displays could be used for a fun project in the future rather than just turning them in to the dealer (maybe a backup cam for my car trailer). They are black BTW.

My problem is that I drop off the car Sunday and I'm busy all day tomorrow - but if the color works for you and you really want them maybe I can have the service dept at the dealer remove them for me if I pay them for an hour of labor or so. After all they installed it so they should know the process well.

Unless someone comes up with a magic trick I'll give that a shot on Sunday.
I was hopping they were cardimon beige (tan) but if you were to still sell them how much would you want?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Black would look horrible if your interior is beige.

I will still try to get them out, at this stage by the dealer. If everything goes well then I will either keep or sell, they really have limited value to me so maybe a couple of hundred bucks plus whatever the cost of removal is.

But lets see if I can pull it off first, and that all parts come out in good condition. Will update this thread then.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a quick update - dealer wants about $300 to take the unit out and it is logistically a hassle for me so I am giving up on this project.

Thanks for your help,

Ralph
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Makes me wonder how long it took for them to install it and what they charged for the install. Hopefully you didnt spend a lot on the system but I would guess it wasnt cheap. Sad they cant take of a customer when returning a lease when I have read what they charge for "wear/damage" etc... What kind of vehicle did you switch to?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
Sorry to hear that. Makes me wonder how long it took for them to install it and what they charged for the install. Hopefully you didnt spend a lot on the system but I would guess it wasnt cheap. Sad they cant take of a customer when returning a lease when I have read what they charge for "wear/damage" etc... What kind of vehicle did you switch to?
I had the system installed by the dealer before taking delivery of the car so hard to tell the real cost - I remember about 2k being mentioned (3 years ago) but much changed and got buried in the negotiation. Yes they could have been a bit friendlier at lease end.

This was my wife's SUV haven't replaced it yet.