Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Just What Does Tow Mode Do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just What Does Tow Mode Do?

I just replaced my 2009 3.2 Q7 with a new 2011 TDI. Among the many new gizmos is a function called "tow mode. Other than cut off power to the trailer when not engaged I have yet to figure out what it really does. I apparently disengaged it, and all of a sudden I had 6,500 lbs of boat and trailer pushing me down the road. The Q7 brakes are good, but not up to the task of stopping the full rated load by themselves. It took the dealer all day to figure that one out.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

disables air suspension, rear view camera, and parking sensors. enables power to the hitch socket.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My air suspension seems to work very well when towing, as seen by the level control. I see a significant difference when towing in the Dynamic mode vs. other modes.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When towing, the side sensors are also disabled. You need to remember to reactive them when disconnecting the trailer, as it is not done automatically.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tow mode does not disable air suspension it just stops it from dropping at speed. You can still affect the ride quality or raise it.
In automatic it will cause the suspension to stiffen at speed.
Tow mode causes the transmission to lock up gears faster., to hold revs longer going up and makes shifts earlier when slowing. It also engages the anti sway stablisation via brakes and load sensors.
Tow increases the power to brakes and shifts balance back.
Tow cuts the beepers on rear parking sensors and changes the load settings for bulb fail.
The closest thing to the feeling of tow mode is sport mode.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Tow mode does not disable air suspension it just stops it from dropping at speed. You can still affect the ride quality or raise it.
In automatic it will cause the suspension to stiffen at speed.
Tow mode causes the transmission to lock up gears faster., to hold revs longer going up and makes shifts earlier when slowing. It also engages the anti sway stablisation via brakes and load sensors.
Tow increases the power to brakes and shifts balance back.
Tow cuts the beepers on rear parking sensors and changes the load settings for bulb fail.
The closest thing to the feeling of tow mode is sport mode.
interesting, i just found the tow bar in the rear, next to the spare wheel the other week when i went to get the jack out when i was doing my wheel mods.

did all Q7's come with a tow bar in the boot or did it have to be ordered seperately as 'tow package'? also is 'tow mode' as mentioned standard on all S-line models or is that part of the ackage? i have a 57 plate UK S-line that i got as second owner and nothing was mentioned from the dealer about the tow bar or towing functions?? so curious if this was an add on or standard.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Tow mode does not disable air suspension it just stops it from dropping at speed.
poor phrasing on my end, but that is what i meant.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That means you have the EU tow package. IF you pop down the middle panel under the bumper lower you will see the socket with a red dust cap in it. To its left there should be the din socket. You can pick up a simple adaptor to convert it to standard round pole connector. Make sure you give the panel a good thump when replacing it... I lost one cos I didnt fully engage it.
You should be able to test for the tow package by selecting tow via MMI.
There is another method if you are not satisfied but its under the trunk floor!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

That means you have the EU tow package. IF you pop down the middle panel under the bumper lower you will see the socket with a red dust cap in it. To its left there should be the din socket. You can pick up a simple adaptor to convert it to standard round pole connector. Make sure you give the panel a good thump when replacing it... I lost one cos I didnt fully engage it.
You should be able to test for the tow package by selecting tow via MMI.
There is another method if you are not satisfied but its under the trunk floor!
were you replying to my post with this??

if so then there is tow mode in the MMI. and sockets under the rear lower panel.

so thats good then, something extra i didnt know about.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Does the 2009 TDI Q7 have tow mode, or did that come w/ later models? I just got the car, and have started towing with it, but can't find any settings for tow mode in the MMI. And of course nothing in the manual.

Quick Reply: Just What Does Tow Mode Do?