Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Lease turn in experience - tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dchayer
The car has been reliable with the exception of tire wear.

My buyout is 30k, similiar equiped 08's CPOd in the area are selling for ~40-42k.

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay the buyout rate and then pay whatever the cost is of the CPO program?

The sleazy audi dealer that I originaly purchased it from said I would have to turn it in to audi, pay for whatever repairs are needed to get it certified, then buy it back from them.

As a comparision we test drove a Q5 premium plus with NAV - offered me a 36/mo lease with no drive away cost of 768/MO. This seemeded at least 100/mo to expensive. Gave a 1000 off msrp. wouldn't even discuss invoice as this is the only 2.0 Q5 he will have until January.

BMW is offering me a X5d, Premium, Tech, Cold Weather of 670/mo. 1,200 drive away.

The X5 give us 25mpg of a mixed highway - backroad test drive of about 12 miles.
Again- we did exactly what you suggested. The dealer did the CPO inspection and we paid the extra 2K or so. It was added to the residual and that was our cost. There shouldn't be any turn in to Audi involved. I found it interesting our car was CPO'ed even though the brakes pads were shot. They told me it would be $800 for new pads and I declined. Took it to an indie and had it done for $300. I thought the parts had to be up to spec just to get the CPO approved. As for tires, the Q7 is a heavy performance SUV. It is going to eat tires and brakes. This is the price you pay for the driving experience.

The X5 lease deal you have seems quite good to me. I would have considered it if my wife would have(she hates the interior of the X5). We actually looked at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago. Very nice car. Not a Q7 but a decent replacement option. Interior is leaps and bounds better than the last generation.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chickdr
Again- we did exactly what you suggested. The dealer did the CPO inspection and we paid the extra 2K or so. It was added to the residual and that was our cost. There shouldn't be any turn in to Audi involved. I found it interesting our car was CPO'ed even though the brakes pads were shot. They told me it would be $800 for new pads and I declined. Took it to an indie and had it done for $300. I thought the parts had to be up to spec just to get the CPO approved. As for tires, the Q7 is a heavy performance SUV. It is going to eat tires and brakes. This is the price you pay for the driving experience.

The X5 lease deal you have seems quite good to me. I would have considered it if my wife would have(she hates the interior of the X5). We actually looked at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee a few weeks ago. Very nice car. Not a Q7 but a decent replacement option. Interior is leaps and bounds better than the last generation.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Funny - our wifes sound alike. My wife can't stand my BMW 330xi interior. She is not a big fan of the X5 interior either. She loves the Q.

I too like the Q alot but the deal on the X5 looks good, the milage blows away the Q and I can custom order it. At the end of the day I have a feeling we will keep the Q as she loves it.

My biggest fear is spillig coffee in the MMI - I have read more than a few horror stories about that.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hilarious. Yes, they must be similar.... Mine also drinks coffee and I have mentioned several times the cost we will incur if it is spilt into the console. I have even bought her special cups which are not supposed to spill. I won't drink, or eat in my Z4, ever. She won't subscribe to the severity I do. I don;t think you can go wrong either way. I also love the idea of always having a new car with an OEM warranty(especially with the costs German SUV's can run) but at the end of the day it is what the wife wants, right? At least if the Q7 ends up being a bad move you should be able to sell for a profit. One think to remember is the CPO will NOT transfer to another O as it will with a BMW.

I just hope you don't have the same issues I did after I bought my lease out(see "water leak" thread for details...)

Last edited by chickdr; 11-28-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ouch - didn't realize that was you. ****ty experience.

Here is the email I just recieved from my dealership on buyout. Shouldn't they just make their profit on the CPO markup and CPO inspection fee?

If they don't come down i plan to turn the car in at the dealer 30 miles away and deny them of the profit they would make re-selling it as a CPO. I figure the dealer can buy it from AFS for 28-30k, put 2k into it and resell for 40-42k. They only have 1 CPO q7 in stock and 1 new Q7 so i am sure they would like to get my vehicle to sell.

They are quickly pushing me towards a BMW, dealership experience between the two is night and day.

Business Manager Response

I would not be able to give you an exact purchase figure due to the fact that we would need to purchase the vehicle first then put it through the service department to have the vehicle go through a certification inspection. Depending on what it needs for work to qualify under the rigorous certification standards and the fact that we would need to make a profit as well I would not be able to pin point an exact price. I can tell you we are spending on an average of $3,500.00 to $4,500.00 to certify a vehicle. If this is something you are interested in doing I would need a sizable non refundable deposit, then I will start the process. Please get back to me with any question you may have.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would certainly turn them down. This is completely unreasonable. They already made a profit leasing you the car. It should be sold at the buyout price plus CPO cost(which is not $4K either).. Try the other dealer and see what they say.