Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

LED retro fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LED retro fit

Anyone have any good sites to pick up a good quality LED strip for the front bumper cover? retrofitting the headlights is a little too steep for an upgrade, but wiring in a strip of LED in the front right and left grills seems practical..Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

there was a guy on Ebay that seemed to be pretty knowledgeable on it

let me see if I can find it
Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am also looking for it and just found it.

Try here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4193&viewitem=

But, not sure how easy to take out the existing one. Someone may chime in here.

B

Originally Posted by Bklyn_Quattro
Anyone have any good sites to pick up a good quality LED strip for the front bumper cover? retrofitting the headlights is a little too steep for an upgrade, but wiring in a strip of LED in the front right and left grills seems practical..Thanks!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an Audi owner yet but perhaps I can also assist.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-...item35a8f2e21b

The link I posted is much closer to Audi OEM than the one posted in the previous post by patrol. I say this because I actually have that LED strip. While it's one of the better "entry level" LED strips out there. I've had it on my Lex for 2 years with no problems and its a clean, simple and inexpensive (approx $20) mod. It's waterproof clearly visible during the day but much better at night. It matches OEM HID quite well and has a slight blue tint especially at night. It simply wouldn't look right on an Audi.

That said I'd go with the the model that I posted as it is a less expensive alternative to AUDI's OEM LED bar. It's about $275 but seems to be much brighter in its LED light output and definitely looks more OEM than the rubber strips found everywhere. I've seen a few '92 Civics with $2 LEDS which is total fail. With the current LED craze and people placing them everywhere and on anything. I put mine in the bumper rather squeezing them into the headlamps which comes off looking rather ricey IMO. Just my 2 cents. I liked them for a while but plan to switch them out for the aforementioned LED bar. Better output and design and far less common. I hope I have been of some assistance.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default This is what I was looking for

Even better check these out! Made by Hella so they should be quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TMTuningdotcom
Old 06-05-2010, 04:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexlaw

The link I posted is much closer to Audi OEM than the one posted in the previous post by patrol. I say this because I actually have that LED strip. While it's one of the better "entry level" LED strips out there. I've had it on my Lex for 2 years with no problems and its a clean, simple and inexpensive (approx $20) mod. It's waterproof clearly visible during the day but much better at night. It matches OEM HID quite well and has a slight blue tint especially at night. It simply wouldn't look right on an Audi.

That said I'd go with the the model that I posted as it is a less expensive alternative to AUDI's OEM LED bar. It's about $275 but seems to be much brighter in its LED light output and definitely looks more OEM than the rubber strips found everywhere. I've seen a few '92 Civics with $2 LEDS which is total fail. With the current LED craze and people placing them everywhere and on anything. I put mine in the bumper rather squeezing them into the headlamps which comes off looking rather ricey IMO. Just my 2 cents. I liked them for a while but plan to switch them out for the aforementioned LED bar. Better output and design and far less common. I hope I have been of some assistance.
Cool.
Thanks for the link.
However, do you know how long it is?
The Q7 front signals are appears to be longer than the LED, what would you/did you replace in the rest of space?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been thinking about a light strip below the turn signals but my question is on the wiring.

If you splice them into the DRLs then they only turn on during the day, opposite if you splice em into the fog light wiring etc.

Anyone know of hot power down there? Pus if you splice them into the fogs or DRL's is the extra current/voltage gonna throw a code?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree, the strips you posted do look more OEM then some of the other options out there. i'm assuming these get wired into the DRLs? any issues with error codes popping up? going to have to remove the exisiting lighting fixture(marker lights)already there i guess...thanks for the info!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bklyn_Quattro
I agree, the strips you posted do look more OEM then some of the other options out there. i'm assuming these get wired into the DRLs? any issues with error codes popping up? going to have to remove the exisiting lighting fixture(marker lights)already there i guess...thanks for the info!

Yeah def wire to the DRL....Not sure if you saw or were referring this Hella kit I posted before. But this is THE kit I plan on purchasing for the Q7. At a reasonable price of $275 this should be a viable option. Watch the clip and tell me what you think as an owner. This and some 2010 tails and I'm a happy camper.

Below is a clip that I added to my faves on Youtube as it showcases The Q7 lights in action. I'm so ready.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1zEtOulhL4

Last edited by Lexlaw; 06-09-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 06-14-2010, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah def wire to the DRL....Not sure if you saw or were referring this Hella kit I posted before. But this is THE kit I plan on purchasing for the Q7. At a reasonable price of $275 this should be a viable option. Watch the clip and tell me what you think as an owner. This and some 2010 tails and I'm a happy camper.

Below is a clip that I added to my faves on Youtube as it showcases The Q7 lights in action. I'm so ready.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1zEtOulhL4
SOLD! they look great and i agree @ $275 they make for a reasonable upgrade that makes a huge difference.. i have 2 other Q7 owners that want to upgrade to LED strips.do you think they would give us a group rate if we get a few more people in??

Quick Reply: LED retro fit