Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Life or Death!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life or Death!!!!

I am having a major problem! Yesterday for the second time while going 60 miles per hour, the car cut off on the highway. My family was in extreme danger, it could have been fatal. The fuel gauge reading quarter tank left, and the car indicating I could go 100 more miles, it seem to have run out of GAS. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I had the q towed to the dealer and they could not find anything wrong, they said they added Gas and it started right up. Now my family and I are 4 hrs away from home and we go down again on the highway. I'm scheduled to take the q in on Monday morning, hopefully we can make it back home. Has anyone had this problem, where the car is indicating that you have Gas, but the only fix to get it working again is adding gas? Did the dealership fix it? Also, how did the dealership detect the problem? The next time it could be fatal for me and my family.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fuel pump?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Definitely scary. The exact same thing happened to us in my wife's Murano...

On a long trip, going down the highway at 65mph the engine just stopped. Wouldn't restart unless I used the "reset" procedure in the owner's manual. Then it ran fine for an hour or so and did the same thing. The Nissan dealership nearest to our vacation destination fixed it and it ran fine the whole way home. Week later the same thing starts happening again. Dealership there claims they fixed it. Wrong again. Couple months later after we had moved cross-country it started happening again. Dealership in the new area fixed it, and it hasn't returned.

Totally scary, and yes, as you pointed out, very dangerous. Oddly enough, that's not the only vehicle that has coasted to a stop on the highway on me...my B5 S4 blew an idler pulley and stranded me on the highway with no shoulder. But that's another story.

I wish I could remember what the problem was finally on the Murano. It was definitely an electrical switch of some kind, and I think it had to do with the ignition, but I can't remember for sure. I'll see if I can dig up the paperwork to check.

I really doubt that your problem has anything to do with the gas level. The problem probably appears to "go away" when the fuel tank is refilled just because it's an intermitent problem. If it's an electical problem like in our Murano, then the system is getting "reset" somehow and so the engine works again for a period of time. If it is in fact an electrical problem it seems likely that it's in the ignition or fuel pump systems.

Good luck figuring it out.

Brian
Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The invoice from the third dealership says "repaired connection at TCA connector".

I have no idea what a TCA connector is though.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Life or Death!!!!

Ok Audi is nowing saying that's it's the Sending Unit has gone bad. It's going to take them a full day to fix the issue.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How's the latest development for this? Has the problem reappeared since the repair?
My aunt's old car, a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, was doing almost the same thing to her family. The car often suddenly loss power at highway speed and they have to coast to stop in the highway shoulder for about 5 or more mins before the car engine can be restarted.
Many trips to the dealer, Hyundai couldn't find anything wrong with the car. They have this event where the Korean engineers are flown here to give trainings to local techs and checking customers' cars for free, and even they cannot find whats wrong with the car. Finally they just sold the car.
I figured then it was just because its Hyundai, was surprised to hear it happened to Q7 and Murano too..
Old 03-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default had the same type of problem in many cars.

Its the fuel guage in the tank that's bad. It happened to me in a mitsubishi montero, Mercedes ML.
the bad news is that it is part of the fuel pump and they are expensive.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by v6tdi
Its the fuel guage in the tank that's bad. It happened to me in a mitsubishi montero, Mercedes ML.
the bad news is that it is part of the fuel pump and they are expensive.
It shouldn't be bad news for him as most Q7's are still under warranty so it will cost him nothing for the repair.