Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Lowering + Spacers on Q7

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering + Spacers on Q7

Hi all,

I'm getting excited as, if all goes well, I will be taking delivery of my Q7 next week after a 3 month wait!

I won't have air-suspension on my Q7 thus I am contemplating to lower via H&R sport springs (1.5" lower). In addition to that, I plan to put 23mm H&R spacers on my 21" S-Line wheels to extend the track.

Before I proceed, I'd like to get some advice and opinion from the members here. I know lowering may affect ride quality slightly, and wear out control arms prematurely (not by much from numerous past experiences as almost all my other cars are lowered). But are there any other reasons that I should NOT lower the Q7, a 5200lbs truck?

Secondly, if I put 23mm spacers on, do I need to use steering angle limiter? Are there any reasons I should not use 23mm spacers, or at all?

I appreciate your input guys.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sharks777
Hi all,

I'm getting excited as, if all goes well, I will be taking delivery of my Q7 next week after a 3 month wait!

I won't have air-suspension on my Q7 thus I am contemplating to lower via H&R sport springs (1.5" lower). In addition to that, I plan to put 23mm H&R spacers on my 21" S-Line wheels to extend the track.

Before I proceed, I'd like to get some advice and opinion from the members here. I know lowering may affect ride quality slightly, and wear out control arms prematurely (not by much from numerous past experiences as almost all my other cars are lowered). But are there any other reasons that I should NOT lower the Q7, a 5200lbs truck?
I too am thinking about lowering the Q7 as well. The options are either the H&R springs (~$800 installed by AWE) or KW coilovers. I have spoke with H&R tech and they assured me that the lowering springs are designed with the factory shocks in mind and compatible with 2010 models. I have not spoken with anyone from KW yet.

I have not found anyone that has done this online so we will be the first ones doing this (or shall I say I since I already have my Q7). If I decide to go for it I will post my findings.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

digitalwok,
I have seen pics of a Mugello Blue Q7 lowered with H&R springs online somewhere, probably on AZ. I can't seem to find it now but I saved the pictures. If you PM me your email I can send them to you.

Otherwise do keep us posted w/ pics once you have lowered!

Now, about the spacers, I'm not so sure. Some tell me it's bad some say it's ok. On my previous cars I've always bought custom (wider) wheels but for the Q7 I've decided not to go 22", and for 21" I might as keep my S-Line wheels (I bought another set of 21" S-Line RS4-style for winter). But I'm not sure if it's ok to use such wide spacers (18mm or 23mm). I've only had experience with 8mm on an A4.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will like to see the pictures here is my marioec@aol.com
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pictures thanks to sharks777

Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again, I saved these pics off a forum, probably AZ. Can't remember where and can't seem to find that thread. Do you guys that that's too low?

And can anyone chime in about whether it's safe to use 23mm spacers on the Q7? If they do that on Cayennes I'm thinking the Q7s are built to take that added stress on the hub too right?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too am interested in Spacers. Anyone have info? Really wanted the staggered look like on an X5, considering rear spacers only to bring the rear wheels out. Already went with wider wheels/tires and not sure if I would have clearance issues on the front. Have always heard negative things about spacers.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like that drop on the blue Q7. I guess that's going to be my first upgrade on my Q7. I don't see any problems with running spacers, but it's always better to go with more aggressive wheel offset.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ideally, though wheels with greater offsets are always the best way to go but if you don't have $$$$ or can't find a wheel style you like I guess spacers are your only option.

That said I would do spacers only if H&R developed the HRA ones for the Q7. The spacers that are currently available are (IMHO) are not safe to use. They are not independently secured to the hub like the HRA's (mounted to the hub using supplied bolts then then wheel is mounted to the spacer using the orignal bolts) vs. the HRs are sandwiched between using longer bolts which need to be purchased seperately.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's what 15mm front and 23mm rear spacers look like fitted to my Q.

Quick Reply: Lowering + Spacers on Q7