Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Is an MDX better in the snow... what the...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is an MDX better in the snow... what the...?

So my neighbor in Tahoe sold his 2008 Q7 for an MDX ("Basic package") and swore it was better in the snow than his Q. I shrugged it off thinking that he was trumping-up his satisfaction level to compensate for selling his soul.

So I asked if I could take it for a spin and he wanted to follow me in the Q7 (2011 S-line with 20 OEMs). Then we switched back. I hate myself for even saying this, but in 1-2 feet of new snow the MDX was indeed better...

It was better in standing start, but not breaking.
It was better in sharp turns and s-turns.
It was better on our rather steep driveway, I did a stop/start test there and the q didn't not win there either.
Both vehicles had ESP turned on, then we tried it with it off.

WTF? What could have made the MDX so much better?? I am really perplexed.

I have some thoughts:

1. The MDX had 18' tires and he had knocked out almost 10 lbs of air, I only knocked out 5 lbs. on the Q.
2. The MDX tires were brand new Bridgestones (500 miles) the q7 had 4500 miles on it's tires.
3. The MDX had that SH-AWD thing... it can supposedly deliver power to any individual wheel.
4. I am thinking that the Quattro system is maybe more of a performance based option rather than a major off-road feature?

(Before you flame me, I want to underline, the MDX is NOT a comparable vehicle in any other way, everything in it feels cheaper and flimsier, power delivery is sloppy and the steering feels like a Honda. And the stereo ssuuuuccckkkss.)

Last edited by arU4ic; 03-21-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing the 18s with new tires are better in snow than the 20s on the Q. Put snow tires on and you'd be able to drive circles around him.

Yeah I drove a new MDX before buying a Q7. It was $15,000 less and I quicky crossed it off my list.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Audi system I believe is performance based, it is rear biased.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I am going to think tires have a lot to do with it. Put Blizzaks on both and they are both going to do really well... I doubt you would say one is better than the other with the same tires.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good read here... The net is the SH-AWD isn't waiting for slip. It's an amazing AWD system, and does it's job VERY well. A shame it doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.

http://rl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495714
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
Good read here... The net is the SH-AWD isn't waiting for slip. It's an amazing AWD system, and does it's job VERY well. A shame it doesn't get as much credit as it deserves.

That IS a good read... thanks for sharing, very interesting.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 285 Likes on 205 Posts

It's all about tires. The OEM Bridgestones on my Mazda CX-9 were awful in snow and ice. Many owners in snow areas swapped them for Yokohama Parada Spec-X.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a video on youtube where a mdx makes it up a ramp and the Q can't. there was only ice on the left side wheels.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
SC9
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have had MDX's for 6 years and picked up a 2011 Q7 4 months ago and I must say the first snow event I drove the Q7, the back started to slide when driving about 25mph on an overpass. Never in 6 years has any of the MDX's ever done that. And now with the SH-AWD it is very hard to get it to slide. Don't get me wrong, I am really happy with the Q7, it was just an eye opener.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX

The info on quattro in the article only applies to the TT and the R8. The A?, S?, RS? and Q? all use either torsen center diffs or crown gear center diffs. These predict slip and are not front wheel biased like the SH-AWD. Also, the models with Audi's sports differential can transfer power left and right on the same axle like the SH-AWD without the braking system. I would guess the new 2013 Q7 will have the crown gear center diff and the sports rear diff.

Quick Reply: Is an MDX better in the snow... what the...?