Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

My Audi Q7 is DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Audi Q7 is DEAD

Taking my 10 hour road trip from Michigan to Missouri to visit my family and my Audi Q7 craps out on me on I-55 South somewhere between Springfield Illinois and St. Louis Missouri. My Q7 is now at Parkland Audi and my family and I are at a hotel, very dissapointed at the reliability of the Q7.

I'm sure the transmission crapped out and was wondering if anyone here ever had trouble with your Q7 transmission? What's funny is that I took my Q7 in for a oil change 2 days ago and it took my local Audi Dealer somewhere between 2-3 Hrs to get a oil change and my car was the first one there in the morning. Kind of wondering now if they accidentally mess up my Q7 and didn't tell me. Today was the first day I got to really drive the Q7 and notice the car stalling when reaching about 70 mph or when I gas the car with a heavy foot. After about 10 minutes the dash display had the park, reverse, neutral, and drive all highlighted. Normally only D which is drive is only highlighted when driving. Also acceleration from complete stop was extremely slow, but traveling at high mph the Q7 ran fine. I pulled the car over and shifted the automatic gear from park, reverse, neutral, and drive and notice the car would jump, which usually means the tranny is bad. check everything I could and started my car again and car was fine again. The car was not jumping anymore when shifting from park to reverse to neutral to drive. Also the dash did not have the Park, reverse, neutral, drive all highlighted. The highlighted box was responding correctly when I changed gear. I then Tested the car by getting back on the expressway and car ran fine with no problem. After about 30 minutes the car quits while I'm driving. Now the car is completely gone. Car will start up fine but when i push the gas petal the car wont move at all on reverse, drive.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a 2007 Audi Q7 3.6 Premium
Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Our transmission's been doing some weird stuff off and on too, so I'm a little bit worried ... worried mainly that it'll die an earlier death right after the warranty is up.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Limp mode?

It's been a long time, but my S4 did something similar years ago. Turned out it was a torn hose (if I remember correctly). The sluggish reponse to a throttle inputs would be consistant with the computer trying to compensate for something wrong. That said, it would not explain the lurching when changing gears.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It may actually be somethng else! The car will behave in a protection/safe mode for several reasons. You will have to wait until they get the fault codes back to confirm.
As your car was pre-owned I wonder if there was a history? It might be worth asking them if Audi have anything logged from before.

If you check the spreadsheet under MECH F (mechanical failures) you will not find much about gearbox/transmission problems with Q7.
ARL, DubaiQ7 and Q7fan had replacements but they are all 4.2 FSI.

Sorry for your troubles, will be watching out for updates.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 07-02-2009 at 04:15 AM. Reason: added ARL to list
Old 07-02-2009, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that totally sucks! Sounds like it could be a faulty TCM (Transmission Control Module), but who knows? We've experienced something like that once before, but it happened immediately after someone spilled soup (yes, soup!) into the rear A/C controls. Pulling out that control module and cleaning it fixed the problem (and yes, we dodged a bit bullet there). In anycase, keep us posted!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL at soup being transmission problem:-0
Old 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi dealership got back to me today and says they are going to replace the transmission and radiator under the warranty. Service tech told me that it is a internal problem with the transmission. They found antifreeze in the transmission fluid and could have been caused by a bad radiator or from a previous accident. But under the carfax no accident was ever found. They told me that they almost didn't cover the repair under the warranty because it could have been caused from a previous accident that could have not been reported to carfax, they had me shooked for a bit. I almost had to pay to repair my Q7. But they covered the repair because they have no proof of previous accident and that it could have just been a bad radiator causing the antifreeze to get in the transmission. So that's whats up with my Q7.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you lucked out.. sounds to me like you owe Audi one.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So do they think someone topped it up at service with wrong fluid causing failure?
The explanation for failure may be reasonable but the why is mysterious.

Quick Reply: My Audi Q7 is DEAD