Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Navteq DVD Navigation Maps - Version 8 (U.S.) - Is is worth it to purchase this update?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navteq DVD Navigation Maps - Version 8 (U.S.) - Is is worth it to purchase this update?

I do not live in one of the cities in which detailed coverage was added. Is there any expectation that Audi will provide newer features navigation features and other features) in software upgrades to MMI? Has it done so in the past? One nice feature would be for the navigation to inform the name of the street where a turn is required or the name of the highway (and destination and/or direction) and/or exit number to take. It is really confusing when there are multiple forks and the only message is "keep right, then keep left". It would be nice if it said "keep right onto Route 1 North, then keep left onto Exit 130 toward Albany". Or instead of "make a left in 100 yards", it would say "make a left in 100 yeards onto Main Street". Are future Navteq maps supposed to contain more useful information (i.e., additional views and information for different categories - e.g., department stores or grocery stores), or will there only be updates to information (i.e., more current streets, highways, points of interest, etc.)? Also, I have not seen this with any GPS unit, but it would be nice to have a tour guide GPS system that would allow somebody who is visiting a new town to be able to choose landmarks or historical sites and the GPS application would begin a virtual tour via automobile, indicating directions to take during the tour and providing some information about each site or landmark once you arrive at such site. It would be a touring experience together with GPS directions. It would definitely be useful!
Old 08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Navteq DVD Navigation Maps - Version 8 (U.S.) - Is is worth it to purchase this update?

No. I bought it for $199 just to find out it is the same as the old one.