Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New Tires What a Difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tires What a Difference

Last year I bought my wife a 2009 Q7 with 9000 miles on it. From the start we loved everything about it except for the loud ride. It has 20" rims with Goodyear LS tires. The tires did not seem to be in bad shape, but after replacing those tires at 25,000 I discovered how they are one of the worst tires I have ever had on any car I have owned. There was a lot of road noise, rough and did not wear very well at all.

Last week after all the complaints from my wife how embarassing it is to take people in her car, because of the noise, I went out and get quotes on new tires. WOW tires have really gone up in price. I decided to pay a little extra and I went with the Michilen Latitude Tour HPs. WOW what a big difference. The Q7 now drives like I believe an Audi should. I can actually talk on my phone and hear what people are saying. The ride is much quietier. My wife told me yesterday at least 10 times how she loves her vehicle now.

If anybody is thinking of new tires and does not know what to get, I would highly reccomend the Michilens. Why Audi put those Goodyear tires I will never know.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

tires went up in price because of the oil used to make them went up in price... but yes good tires make all the difference. i love the dunlop tires on the oem 21s. i have continental on the 20s (oem tire/wheel combo) and i hate it. friend has the good year on his and complained about noise and crap traction in rain...
Old 05-23-2011, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Yes, Michelin makes a great tire. Be certain to report back when they have 10,000 or 20,000 miles on them and let us know if you still feel the same way.

Did you have someone verify the alignment?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

article on tire wear:
http://www.ajeepthing.com/tire-maintenance.html
Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe07
I decided to pay a little extra and I went with the Michilen Latitude Tour HPs.
Where did you find the Tour HPs? Everywhere I've checked (Discount Tire, Sears, closest Michelin distribution center, etc.) says they've been "discontinued" are are "no longer available."

Michelin claims they've been "replaced" with the Latitude Sport ... at about +$120-150/tire. Ouch.

There have to be at least 4 HP Tours hiding somewhere!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tahoe07
Last year I bought my wife a 2009 Q7 with 9000 miles on it. From the start we loved everything about it except for the loud ride. It has 20" rims with Goodyear LS tires. The tires did not seem to be in bad shape, but after replacing those tires at 25,000 I discovered how they are one of the worst tires I have ever had on any car I have owned. There was a lot of road noise, rough and did not wear very well at all.

Last week after all the complaints from my wife how embarassing it is to take people in her car, because of the noise, I went out and get quotes on new tires. WOW tires have really gone up in price. I decided to pay a little extra and I went with the Michilen Latitude Tour HPs. WOW what a big difference. The Q7 now drives like I believe an Audi should. I can actually talk on my phone and hear what people are saying. The ride is much quietier. My wife told me yesterday at least 10 times how she loves her vehicle now.

If anybody is thinking of new tires and does not know what to get, I would highly reccomend the Michilens. Why Audi put those Goodyear tires I will never know.
I have Goodyear...and they are really a piece of garbage...
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

dunlop ftw.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2011 Q7 has the 20" wheels with Pirelli tires.

What is the consensus on the Pirelli's? I feel like they are a little noisy and rough, but I was expecting that with a sport tire. I wouldn’t mind a softer ride though.

Just wondering what to look at for the replacement set…
Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I recently got rid of my Good Year Fortera's for Hankook Ventus tires. I absolutely love the ride now, its super smooth will get up to 85 before you even know it. I actually went with a bigger and wider tire and love the look now too. My tires look like the ones found on the ML500 or V8 X5-X6.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Good choice OP. I'm a fan of Michelin tires. Pricey but you get great performance with quiet ride, so worth it to me.

Although my 19" stock Pirelli P-Zero's are good given my low mileage thus far I'll be swapping to Michelin Pilot when they start to get noisy (my 18" winter's are Michelin Pilot Alpin).

Last edited by Huey52; 06-14-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: New Tires What a Difference