Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New Tires What a Difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

but what happens when you need to use the spare and you have one tire which is not like the others?

as published in audi's vehicle owner's manual: "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch (~3mm) of each other in remaining tread depth." otherwise there will be damage done to the awd system. so if 3mm of more or less tread makes a difference imagine what making all four tires 1" larger overall then putting the spare on and it is one inch smaller than the other three on the car.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot argue with that at all. Can only hope that the spare would only be needed a few miles.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

We have the tour's on our Q5 and although they perform well in the summer months they are not that great in the snow.
I suggest a dedicated winter rim/tire if you live in an area that gets any type of accumulation.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by marioec
Any feedbacks on Bridgestone H/L Alenza ?
PASS ...I had these on my Jeep and few years back. Not good in any snowfall.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
but what happens when you need to use the spare and you have one tire which is not like the others?

as published in audi's vehicle owner's manual: "rolling radius of all 4 tires must remain the same" or within 4/32-inch (~3mm) of each other in remaining tread depth." otherwise there will be damage done to the awd system. so if 3mm of more or less tread makes a difference imagine what making all four tires 1" larger overall then putting the spare on and it is one inch smaller than the other three on the car.
I would carry a plug-type repair kit in the trunk. The type that is used to repair quad bike and tractor tyres. Just pierce the tread at the hole with the rasp, add the adhesive, insert the plug with the tool provided, wait half an hour before inflating fully and off you go.

Quote from here

It is a puncture repair kit for tubeless tyre. If you go out by cycle, scooter, motorbike or car, you can't afford to leave home without it. This kit will let you repair the puncture quickly and effectively. It is essential for vehicles with tubeless tyres

Instruction:

Remove the object that caused tyre puncture
Insert the rasp into the hole, push and pull the rasp to roughen and clean the edges
Coat the needle with the rubber cement, and spread the cement on the hole
Insert the repair string into the hole to seal it
Please note that this repair kit should not be used to fix tyres with punctures bigger than 1/4' and should only be used as temporary fix, to allow you to reach your destination safely then you can repair your tyre permanently

Package Includes:

1 x rasp tool
1 x split-eye insertion needle
1 x rubber cement
5 x tyre repair strips
END

Note that it says such repairs should be temporary, and legally in some territories such as the UK that is the case. In fact such repairs have been well proven as permanent repairs and in the worse case you will only get another puncture if it ever fails.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used the inflatable spare? I had to use it once and I am not convinced that it has the same rolling diameter.

For me, the traction control light kept blinking when I was driving. I assumed this was the spare not rolling the same.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I went with that size because I wanted a slightly bigger and wider tire. Plenty of owners on here have done this with no issues (do a search) and I spoke with my Audi techs and had them verify that the size I selected would not be an issue. When people drive with spares on they don't or I know I wouldn't drive for days with it on, it is simply to get you to the closest tire shop. That short distance would NOT damage the awd system, I was advised that there may or may not be a slight speedo difference, I can live with that. I absolutely love the way my Q feels and drives on the rd.

Originally Posted by iconoclast
why did you go with that size?

your car is not set up for that... your wheel is now 1" larger than stock. your speedometer and nav and turning radius will be off... when you think youre driving sixty you're actually driving 62mph... when you think you're driving 80 you'll be driving nearly 85mph...

your spare is now one inch smaller than all the other tires... so now when you go to put it on (if you need to) you will damage your awd system.

iirc there is a place in vagcom where you adjust tire size etc. but i dont know how or where... stumbled across by accident.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the overall wheel is 1" smaller. that is nearly 9x the allowed difference in wheel size. i am almost certain there would be SOME damage to the torsen system if your traction control system is acting up while driving or abs kicks in, i would not even drive a foot further but your car, your money, your safety. you decide.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok so there are any other recommendations for tires. The Tour HP is out and I have to take these Bad years off (they are done anyway). I did look at the Hankook Ventus but the road noise according to tire rack was not where I would like it. Has anyone tried the Parada Spec-X? What are you thoughts on the road noise, snow conditions and longevity? Otherwise does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm a fan of Michelin. Pricey but great year 'round performance, great ride, low noise and pretty good longevity.

Quick Reply: New Tires What a Difference