Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Off to the races....

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Off to the races....

This is why I bought my Q7 TDI (at least one reason why).
Attached Images     
Old 04-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful shots!! If VAG doesn't give you a corporate discount already they definitely should. You're representing them quite lovely. Very nice!!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesel Q7 Electric brakes?
At first I thought that looks like a lot of nose/tongue (?) weight, then I remembered where the engine is!
Old 04-24-2010, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got back and must say that I am impressed. I drove almost 400 miles and could hardly tell the trailer was behind. The torque of the TDI is amazing. Going up moderate inclines did not even require an upshift. At speeds around 55 to 60 mph, I could get 23 mpg. However, when cruising at around 70, the mileage would drop to 19.7 mpg.

When you connect the trailer wiring, everthing switches to "tow mode"...the camera in the back shows the trailer and hitch and the backup sensors are turned off. The side assist also turns off and tells you that tow mode is activated and will not turn them own, for obvious reasons. You can't use Dynamic suspension mode when towing. The air suspension keeps the everything level. All automatic...very cool.

The brake controller worked great and again knows when the trailer is connected through the wiring. A couple of simple adjustments for the electric brakes on the trailer and the two worked great in tandom.

There was another 2010 TDI at the track, also pulling a trailer. He was as impressed as I am.

Anyway, a very satisfied customer!

P.S.: the car did great on the track and deserved a nice ride home....
Old 04-25-2010, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Q7 also has anti sway technology. It uses suspension sensors coupled with ABS to detect load shift then applies individual brakes in short bursts to compensate.
Reassuring... but as any tow-er worth his salt knows its all about proper loading and driving.
You probably noticed that towing mode also makes shifts more like dynamic, locking up gears quicker, making downshifts earlier.
I carried close to 1000 lbs of stone in the back of my Q7 recently and put the car in tow mode without a trailer. It behaved much better with the odd load.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd

P.S.: the car did great on the track and deserved a nice ride home....
Trackacardia event at Monticello by any chance?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Q7 also has anti sway technology. It uses suspension sensors coupled with ABS to detect load shift then applies individual brakes in short bursts to compensate.
Reassuring... but as any tow-er worth his salt knows its all about proper loading and driving.
You probably noticed that towing mode also makes shifts more like dynamic, locking up gears quicker, making downshifts earlier.
I carried close to 1000 lbs of stone in the back of my Q7 recently and put the car in tow mode without a trailer. It behaved much better with the odd load.

How do you put the car in tow mode if you don't have trailer hooked in the back of it?

Arrie
Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Track event was an invitation "test and tune" day held at Gingerman Raceway in South Haven, MI.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My car EU version (dunno if that makes a difference) I can go to setup and turn it on or off manually. Still auto activates when trailer electrics are plugged in.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
My car EU version (dunno if that makes a difference) I can go to setup and turn it on or off manually. Still auto activates when trailer electrics are plugged in.

No tow mode selection in my Q7 car setup menu. Wonder if it even works automatically here in U.S.

How does tow mode differ from S-mode that I can select with the shifter?

Arrie

Quick Reply: Off to the races....