Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Older with lower miles or newer with more miles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older with lower miles or newer with more miles?

I'm in the market for a used Q7 for the wife, specifically one with the S-line package. Most of what I've been looking at is 2008-09 4.2L with between 35-55k miles for $30-$35k. However, there is a very nice black 2010 4.2L w/B&O and 22" black wheels for sale locally with 67k miles (mostly highway miles according to the owner)for $36,500. Obviously with the 2010 I would be getting the face-lifted front and rear and updated MMI, but all else being equal, would you go for an older model with less miles, or the 2010 even though it's a bit higher in mileage?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the b&o system and the face lift and the upgraded interior components are worth the higher miles.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that price and the upgraded B&O, I'd go with higher mileage.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

B&O all the way!
Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys, that's kind of the way I was leaning as well. Called the seller and going to go take a look at the 2010 tomorrow. The only bummer is it doesn't seem like it has the adaptive air suspension, which I really wanted, but she wasn't actually sure, so maybe I'll get lucky and it has it.

Anything in particular I should ask about on it?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so went and checked it out today, and although it's a little higher in mileage than I wanted and doesn't have the air suspension as I had hoped for, it was pretty flawless in every other aspect. The B&O was awesome and the 22" wheels looked really nice on it. Went over the service records and didn't see anything major (water pump was recently replaced, and something related to the MMI had been replaced a while back as the screen would occasionally not come on).

The tires don't look like they have much tread life left on them, so would probably have to replace pretty soon, and according to the service records I believe the brakes were last done about a year ago, so imagine those will need to be done pretty soon as well.

I don't have much experience buying used cars, so given that the car appears to be in outstanding condition, but I will probably have to drop some cash on the tires/brakes right away, what price should I start at, and what should be my bottom line?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try every feature in the car, if it has advance key try every handle, push all the buttons, look at the spare, tool kit etc... This will help you a lot to make sure you get what you pay for. Look up in KBB with your zip, offer dealer trade-in value and see from there.

Good luck
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

KBB for trade-in is ~$38k, and it's listed at $36.5k, so it'a already below that. Just wondering if I should try and get it a little lower (seems like most people list at least slightly above the price they are willing to accept knowing that they will likely have to come down some).
Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you don't have any mechanical background call the local audi dealership and tell them you want to set up an appointment for them to look it over. You will pay i think it is a hour service charge but they will go over it with an inspection sheet. You said brakes were done a year ago and you might need to do them again i don't know why you think that but in my opinion if the brakes were done a year ago and you have proof of it then that is one item you will NOT need to worry about especially if it was done at the dealership, of course unless they were autocrossing the truck.

I would check the oil smell it make sure it looks clean, look over receipts, run a carfax on it. Who was doing the repairs on the truck was it a local hole in the wall mechanical or an audi dealership. Test drive make sure it shifts fine and correct. Drive it hard not slow. Hit the brakes harder hit the gas harder. Try ALL features hit every button. Bring a check list for yourself. This way you don't go home and say to yourself did i check this or that you have it written down. Look for overspray just because the carfax is clean doesn't mean 100% a panel wasn't repaired.

As for the price if you're paying cash go with cash and throw down a grand less you will take the truck home.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2013, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is it typically recommended to take it to a dealer or an independent shop to do an inspection?

My mistake on the brakes, I thought I remembered reading that they pretty much need to be replaced every year, but I might have mixed that up with people's comments on the tires.

Yeah, I gave it a pretty thorough lookover, made sure all of the buttons and features were working, etc., everything appears to be working well and in order.

Quick Reply: Older with lower miles or newer with more miles?