Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

poor range on remote... advice please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a stop-gap: Pressing your remote against the skin under your chin increases the range dramatically. I'm told it turns your melon into an antenna.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Santorin Drm pig pal
As a stop-gap: Pressing your remote against the skin under your chin increases the range dramatically. I'm told it turns your melon into an antenna.
Wow... what next... drop your pants and press your *** up against the door to operate the keyless entry?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Santorin Drm pig pal
was just going to suggest this as well.. works everytime.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PARealtor
was just going to suggest this as well.. works everytime.
Tried this.
Changed nothing

I have an appointment to have it checked out in 2 weeks (dealer is 120 km from home ...).
Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kmine was doing the same thing about a week ago.
New batteries in both remotes, new remotes actually too.
They thought it may have been something under the driver dash around the controller but when I picked it up the notes said it had something to do with the ignition that they replaced.

Sounded odd but it fixed everything up.
I couldn't even have the range before to open the rear lid from the drivers door but they got it fixed right up to normal now
Old 05-24-2019, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bozack
kmine was doing the same thing about a week ago.
New batteries in both remotes, new remotes actually too.
They thought it may have been something under the driver dash around the controller but when I picked it up the notes said it had something to do with the ignition that they replaced.

Sounded odd but it fixed everything up.
I couldn't even have the range before to open the rear lid from the drivers door but they got it fixed right up to normal now
So the ignition switch was the issue? I bought my 2011 Q7 TDI used a few months ago and it has had this problem since day one. New keys and batteries didn’t help. When I pull codes I only get “rear breakage glass sensor” nothing related to ignition. Really frustrating issue.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:21 AM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if anyone else has this issue but I have a strange one on my 08 Q7....
The keyless entry system normally works fine. I can walk up to the car with the key in my pocket, pull the handle once to unlock and the second pull I can open the door. Only thing is that if I press the button on any of the doors, it doesn’t lock. I read that pushing the little black square button on any of the door handles is supposed to lock it?
I also noticed that if I stop to get fuel with the key in my pocket it does something strange. When I get out and walk over to the fuel door I can start fueling the car and then all of the sudden the doors will all lock, sometimes repeatedly. It’s almost acting like someone is hitting the lock button but there is no alarm beep as if I actually hit the lock button on the remote. That only happens if I have the key in my pocket and I’m standing near the fuel door on the right side of the vehicle. I read somewhere that these vehicles have proximity sensors that figure out when you’re near the vehicle or walking away and it’s supposed to lock and unlock based on where the key is in relation to the vehicle? I don’t really need this feature but I’m just wondering why it seems to be acting strange.
I took delivery of this vehicle used and I only have one key... So it makes me a little nervous because if something goes wrong with this key fob I’m screwed.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25
The keyless entry system normally works fine. I can walk up to the car with the key in my pocket, pull the handle once to unlock and the second pull I can open the door. Only thing is that if I press the button on any of the doors, it doesn’t lock. I read that pushing the little black square button on any of the door handles is supposed to lock it?
I also noticed that if I stop to get fuel with the key in my pocket it does something strange. When I get out and walk over to the fuel door I can start fueling the car and then all of the sudden the doors will all lock, sometimes repeatedly. It’s almost acting like someone is hitting the lock button but there is no alarm beep as if I actually hit the lock button on the remote. That only happens if I have the key in my pocket and I’m standing near the fuel door on the right side of the vehicle. I read somewhere that these vehicles have proximity sensors that figure out when you’re near the vehicle or walking away and it’s supposed to lock and unlock based on where the key is in relation to the vehicle? I don’t really need this feature but I’m just wondering why it seems to be acting strange.
I took delivery of this vehicle used and I only have one key... So it makes me a little nervous because if something goes wrong with this key fob I’m screwed.
Yeah I bought the car with only one key and made sure to buy a second one to A) avoid being screwed from losing the one and B) hoping the new key would work better. Really wish my car had the keyless entry. Have it on my 2015 Honda Civic and it rocks.

Not sure what to say about your random locking issues near the gas flap. Sounds like you have some ghosts in your car.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

my 08 Q7 has also had poor range since I bought it a couple of years ago. new battery in fob.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25
The Keyless door handles on this generation of Q7 is known to be poorly designed and all will fail eventually. I have gone through 7 door handles in 12 years (3 replaced under warranty, and out of pocket for 1) and all of them eventually have broken black lock buttons. Haven't ever had issues with unlocking using the handles. Even the revised version of the door handle is prone to failure. Very poorly designed part. I eventually gave up trying to at least keep one lock button working on each side of the car since it's about $3-400 each time you buy/paint and swap a handle. I just use the remote to lock now. Most frustrating part is my mother in law had a Camry Hybrid we bought for her at the same time that has never had any issues with any of the keyless door handles, so the tech was there for reliability, but Audi just did a horrible job designing them and never fixed the issues with any revisions.

As for the the car locking with the remote in your pocket, It could be that the remote lock button is starting to have issues, or it could be that with the key in your pocket, something could be pressing the lock button. I would definitely recommend getting a second key, but do realize that it needs to be ordered from Audi with your vin, and programmed into your car, so figure around $400 for that.

Last edited by chingwodapigu; 06-03-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: poor range on remote... advice please!!!