Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

poor range on remote... advice please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25
Not sure if anyone else has this issue but I have a strange one on my 08 Q7....
The keyless entry system normally works fine. I can walk up to the car with the key in my pocket, pull the handle once to unlock and the second pull I can open the door. Only thing is that if I press the button on any of the doors, it doesn’t lock. I read that pushing the little black square button on any of the door handles is supposed to lock it?
I also noticed that if I stop to get fuel with the key in my pocket it does something strange. When I get out and walk over to the fuel door I can start fueling the car and then all of the sudden the doors will all lock, sometimes repeatedly. It’s almost acting like someone is hitting the lock button but there is no alarm beep as if I actually hit the lock button on the remote. That only happens if I have the key in my pocket and I’m standing near the fuel door on the right side of the vehicle. I read somewhere that these vehicles have proximity sensors that figure out when you’re near the vehicle or walking away and it’s supposed to lock and unlock based on where the key is in relation to the vehicle? I don’t really need this feature but I’m just wondering why it seems to be acting strange.
I took delivery of this vehicle used and I only have one key... So it makes me a little nervous because if something goes wrong with this key fob I’m screwed.
Well I am not the only one that this happens to. My 2013 does the same exact thing when anywhere near the passenger side rear. It’s frustrating when I’m hand washing the Q, and the doors keeps locking when I get to that side. Anyone else have had this issue and had resolved would be a great help. Have to take key out pocket when washing it.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

the buttons on your locking door handles are faulty, there's like a post here every week about em it seems.. you need new door handles and to have em painted, some people have gone through dozens of em because thats how reliable they are.

Its getting water in em and shorting out at the carwash.. on an unrelated note, the newer audis with the wave foot to open hatch feature also have issues in carwash because they detect the moving water as a moving foot.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TrickyQ7
Well I am not the only one that this happens to. My 2013 does the same exact thing when anywhere near the passenger side rear. It’s frustrating when I’m hand washing the Q, and the doors keeps locking when I get to that side. Anyone else have had this issue and had resolved would be a great help. Have to take key out pocket when washing it.
Originally Posted by dreadlocks
the buttons on your locking door handles are faulty, there's like a post here every week about em it seems.. you need new door handles and to have em painted, some people have gone through dozens of em because thats how reliable they are.

Its getting water in em and shorting out at the carwash.. on an unrelated note, the newer audis with the wave foot to open hatch feature also have issues in carwash because they detect the moving water as a moving foot.

So you are saying that the defective buttons on the handles would cause the doors to auto lock when you walk pass on the passengers side only when the remote is in the pocket? I understand that I can not lock the doors with the door handle buttons anymore, but when walking pass the passengers side the vehicle automatically locks.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

yes, the handle is shorted out.. thus the button is always being pressed, so when you get the fob close enough to the door both conditions for locking are met.. button is pressed (thinks it is) and keyfob is within proximity.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Okay that sounds like that could be the problem.