Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Power Service Kleen for your TDI??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Service Kleen for your TDI??

has anyone tried using this?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like something more appropriate for an older vehicle that runs on lower-grade diesel. I am not positive but I think i read somewhere that diesel 2 already has increased cetane and lubricants added back in after the hydro-treatment to remove sulfur. My manual specifically warns against adding anything to the diesel, and says usually it'll result in worse performance and/or mileage.

Did you happen across this stuff or are you experiencing some kind of problem with your TDI? Just curious.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kristatos
That looks like something more appropriate for an older vehicle that runs on lower-grade diesel. I am not positive but I think i read somewhere that diesel 2 already has increased cetane and lubricants added back in after the hydro-treatment to remove sulfur. My manual specifically warns against adding anything to the diesel, and says usually it'll result in worse performance and/or mileage.

Did you happen across this stuff or are you experiencing some kind of problem with your TDI? Just curious.
nah. just curious. i was just reading about it.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2PUTT
nah. just curious. i was just reading about it.
I am curious about this kind of stuff too - not that additive specifically, but more in general what we can really get away with running in our machines. Audi says diesel 2 and nothing else. I know folks running biodiesel in their late-model VWs and wonder sometimes if something like these additives plus biodiesel could actually work in the Audis. I just don't want to try it and find out it doesn't work!
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

here is what i have read from their site.

* Cleans dirty injectors — including High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) injectors
* Boosts cetane up to 6 numbers — engines run smoother with less power lag and faster cold starts
* Increases MPG up to 8% — fuel savings exceed cost of additive
* Boosts power — reduces need for downshifting during high-load conditions
* Contains Slickdiesel® for maximum fuel lubrication — protects fuel injectors and pumps against accelerated wear from Low and Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuels
* Reduces piston and combustion chamber deposits — reduces soot blow-by and engine oil thickening
* Prevents thermal breakdown of diesel fuel — protects against sludge formation that plugs fuel-filters and injectors
* Stabilizes stored fuel
* ULSD Compliant — contains less than 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur
* Effective in all diesel fuels, including ULSD and biodiesel

http://www.powerservice.com/dk/
Old 09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used Redline's Diesel Fuel Catalyst, which purports pretty much the same advantages as this stuff. It certainly hasn't hurt anything; and sometimes helps fuel efficiency and sometimes doesn't seem to do much.

One application where I do use it is when I purchase fuel in a warm area and will be traveling to a low temperature area. I did this last month when we went from an area of 80-90 degree temperatures to one where the night time temps dropped to 20 degrees. Everything worked just fine.

As far as biodiesel is concerned, I'm pretty sure that B5 (5% bio) is OK with Audi. I did purchase fuel at a Flying J Truckstop in Illinois last month that had a sticker advising that the fuel contained 5-20% biomass additive. I only purchased enough to get me to the next fueling stop; and it did not appear to harm anything in my car.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 09-14-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a fairly popular additive for the 2.0L CBEA engine used in the A3 TDI and the 09 Jetta. There have been some costly failures with the high-pressure fuel pump on that engine, and one of the leading theories is that the failures are related to the lubricity of US diesel fuel being lower than the minimum specified by Bosch (the HPFP manfacturer). Basically some part of the HPFP breaks, spreading tiny pieces of metal shrapnel through the fuel system. This requires replacement of the entire fuel system, which, of course, VW is loath to cover under warranty.

PS claims to increase the lubricity of the fuel, which should, if the theory is correct, decrease the likelihood of the HPFP failing. I've been using it in my A3 TDI (4 oz per tankful) since I bought the car in February -- so far, no sign of HPFP issues in 7500 miles of mixed city/highway driving.

As far as I know, there are no HPFP issues with the 3.0L engine used in the Q7 TDI.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

May a prospecting A3 2011 TDI owner join in on this discussion?
Let's say I stay away from additives on Diesel. I am not getting a straight story on what the minimum fuel specs are that I need, and how easy it will be to find ... say on a long trip.
Only that it should be lower than 5% bio-diesel. And that there are serious risks in not abiding by it.
Any experiences by you current TDI owners?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AM0665
May a prospecting A3 2011 TDI owner join in on this discussion?
Let's say I stay away from additives on Diesel. I am not getting a straight story on what the minimum fuel specs are that I need, and how easy it will be to find ... say on a long trip.
Only that it should be lower than 5% bio-diesel. And that there are serious risks in not abiding by it.
Any experiences by you current TDI owners?
You want Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) and it's available everywhere, although some times you may have to check the pumps in more than one station.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

In addition to what Dutch wrote, by December 1st 2010 all retail diesel sold in the USA for highway use must be ULSD. Currently all diesel pumps have to be clearly labeled as to what they are dispensing. In California you can only get ULSD.

I think by 2014 all off-road, locomotive and marine diesel will also have to be ULSD, as it's being phased in universally.

I am not sure what regulations are in place for biodiesel.

Quick Reply: Power Service Kleen for your TDI??