Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Problems with rear hatch when opening

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with rear hatch when opening

I experience "flickering" from the motor in the rear hatch, when opening it (electricaly). This happends everytime when I havent used it for a couple of hours. Independent of if I use the remote, or the button on the hatch. The motor (locking mechanism) tries to open 3-4 times quickly, before the hydraulic ram starts to lift the hatch. If I close it and opens it imediately after, there is no problem. Maybe there is some kind of service to be done, or adjustment?

Anybody with this experience before?

I will take it in for an inspection to the dealer on the 11th of June. Will report back what the problem is. I am now at 102000km on my 2007 TDI.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tailgate is not lifted hydraulically. There are two electric motors up top that wind it like a window. The rams are gas filled spring loaded assisting the lift.
It sounds like you have a bad contact in the connection to the electromagnetic release mechanism. Or dirt causing it to be too tight.
You can flick the little cover on the receiver to see if there is anything in there fouling it. Could be a job for the vacuum cleaner.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like what our `07 did a few months back. Have you replaced your battery yet? Our hatch motors were not getting enough voltage, and were causing the motors to activate (click) without moving.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
The tailgate is not lifted hydraulically. There are two electric motors up top that wind it like a window. The rams are gas filled spring loaded assisting the lift.
It sounds like you have a bad contact in the connection to the electromagnetic release mechanism. Or dirt causing it to be too tight.
You can flick the little cover on the receiver to see if there is anything in there fouling it. Could be a job for the vacuum cleaner.
I will have a look, but not sure of where the cover for the receiver is located? Can't see any dirt by just looking.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhoenixINX
Sounds like what our `07 did a few months back. Have you replaced your battery yet? Our hatch motors were not getting enough voltage, and were causing the motors to activate (click) without moving.
No, i have not replaced the battery yet. Anyway the gate is lifting. Sounds more that the lock is flickering.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

my q7 is bookin for replacement lock under warranty it does the the same. tryed everything with the lock but nothing worked. the only time it flicks is when you open first time, but try again it does not happen straight away.something todo with deadlock.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mersaj
my q7 is bookin for replacement lock under warranty it does the the same. tryed everything with the lock but nothing worked. the only time it flicks is when you open first time, but try again it does not happen straight away.something todo with deadlock.
Sounds like we have the exact same problem, like you describe it. Is your Q7 also a 07 mod.?
Old 06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NorwayQ7
Sounds like we have the exact same problem, like you describe it. Is your Q7 also a 07 mod.?
yes and other day both new intake manifolds fitted and air con fixed and now with same problems again. complained and now going back in not happy. had a merc for 8 years without any problems and had a q7 less than a year and had over £3000 work on it. these q7 are very unreiable
Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default One hatch motor to be replaced

Originally Posted by NorwayQ7
I experience "flickering" from the motor in the rear hatch, when opening it (electricaly). This happends everytime when I havent used it for a couple of hours. Independent of if I use the remote, or the button on the hatch. The motor (locking mechanism) tries to open 3-4 times quickly, before the hydraulic ram starts to lift the hatch. If I close it and opens it imediately after, there is no problem. Maybe there is some kind of service to be done, or adjustment?

Anybody with this experience before?

I will take it in for an inspection to the dealer on the 11th of June. Will report back what the problem is. I am now at 102000km on my 2007 TDI.

Had the car in for inspection at the dealer today, to investigate the problem I reported about the hatch, when opening. From the time I reported the flickering here and until last weekend, I had the flickering every time I opened the hatch (when not been used for some hours). Of course the flickering disappeared last weekend, typical when you bring the car in to the dealer. Anyway they found error codes on the rear hatch motor, and they will make a new appointment for replacing the motor that is failing.

Even though my warranty is out, they will fix this for no cost to me (all electric failures can be claimed fixed within 5 years from production here).

So now I hope that the other motor will be reliable, after the car turns 5 years in october...
Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got one of the motors replaced, and the problem dissapaired. No problems with this since.

Quick Reply: Problems with rear hatch when opening