Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Proper side mirror setup to eliminate blind spots for Q7 or any car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper side mirror setup to eliminate blind spots for Q7 or any car.

I hear many comments about the large blind spot of the Q7 and thought I would share the proper technique for adjusting the left and right outside mirrors.

Left mirror - lean your head against the drivers door glass and adjust the mirror so you can just see the side of your vehicle.

Right mirror - lean to the middle of the car and adjust the mirror so you can just see the side of your vehicle.

Adjusted this way will allow you to see a vehicle that is aproaching from the rear in your rearview mirror and just as that vehicle begins to leave the center rearview mirror you will see it appear in the appropriate side mirror. No blind spot!

This takes about a day to get used to but is absolutely confidence building after that.

Many people have their mirrors adjusted so they can watch vehicles approaching from far back in their side mirrors which then leads to the blind spots. Adjusted properly will also reduce the glare from the headlights of approaching vehicles.

Try it and you will see.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default LOL! We've been doing this for years and it does work.

This plus the huge mirrors on the Q7, makes me feel silly we ordered Side Assist. Oh yeah, it comes with the tech package. ~;^)
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree. I don't find the blind spot in the Q7 to be that large - certainly smaller than

cars like the Nissan Murano, the new MDX or any other car which has excessively large D-pillars. The Side Assist is also a GREAT option too (I don't use a radar detector, so no problems with interference)
Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default In HGV driving we were trained to set side mirrors

so that in normal driving position the side of the vehicle is visible on the inner edges of both mirrors. This was mainly to avoid crushing cyclists and motorcyclists and aid reversing using only mirrors. the curbside mirror always set slightly lower for nearer didtance.

Am I correct in assuming that your recommended system for adjustment results in no parrt of your Q showing?

That would take a bit of getting used to.

PS You may be aware that turning the mirror to passenger setting position engages automatic reverse setting. Mirror moves to preset position once reverse is selected. If you want to adjust the reverse setting then do it when the car is in reverse gear.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Correct, you will not see the side of your car in the side mirrors

setting your mirror as your were instructed in your HGV driving results in blind spots. Again, the method I described means this - If it's behind you or to the side of you - you WILL be able to see it in one of your 3 mirrors.

Try it and see.

Yes, I do like the tilting with reverse passenger mirror.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Great post...

I feel like I already know this, but hadn't put it into place.

Thanks for the nudge!

aH