Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 2011 Tow Package - missing electric brake controller connector under dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 2011 Tow Package - missing electric brake controller connector under dash

I have a 2011 Q7 with factory tow package. I want to install a brake controller. I've trawled all over the net and my conclusion is that the harness in my car does not feed to the front. I am using this image as a reference to find the connector. This was from a really good post on rennlist (Click here for Rennlist post). The Q7 looks very similar under the dash, but that connector (shown protected by the gray foam) is not there on my car.

There are 2 things that I have a hunch on:
1) maybe is IS somewhere else on the Q7.
2) I found a post where one guy said he had the tow package, but this connector was missing and Audi had to retro-install it.

If anyone can give some insight. This topic is just about finding this connector. There is a bunch of info out there about what to do after you find it. A picture would be awesome!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Good Luck! Ours is a 2011 also and brake controller is on my to do list.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is your towing package factory installed? If yes and if the 2011 is anything like my 2010, that connector and its foam covering are right up above and behind the OBD2 plug.

Did you see the Tekonsha wiring instructions I posted a few weeks ago? See here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839558

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 02-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can clearly see the 4 pin connector in the middle of that pic. There is even a hint of the Blue wire showing.
Everyone says its well tucked up there and yes you have it in your car. It is in all Q7s even without prewired trailer hitch version (since MY2007 early in 2007) in case owners add hitch aftermarket.
IIRC its just a two pin connector at the other end.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
You can clearly see the 4 pin connector in the middle of that pic. There is even a hint of the Blue wire showing.
Everyone says its well tucked up there and yes you have it in your car. It is in all Q7s even without prewired trailer hitch version (since MY2007 early in 2007) in case owners add hitch aftermarket.
IIRC its just a two pin connector at the other end.
Right. But this is a picture from a Touareg... No connector in mine!

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Is your towing package factory installed? If yes and if the 2011 is anything like my 2010, that connector and its foam covering are right up above and behind the OBD2 plug.

Did you see the Tekonsha wiring instructions I posted a few weeks ago? See here:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2839558
I have seen this info, but aam not at this point yet. I just need to find out if my car is missing this connector. The picture of the connector seems to be from the earlier cars. It was moved later.

I had the dealer run the VIN and they confirmed that the Tow Package was one the original spec sheet, Which is in line with everything that I see at the back of the car.

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Good Luck! Ours is a 2011 also and brake controller is on my to do list.
Would you mind taking a peek under your dash. You'll need the right size torx driver. It's 2 screws and a slight pull. Remove the OBD2 connector and the LED light connector and the dash cover comes off. If what I have found out is correct, the 2011 position is on the left by the pivot of the park brake. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 257 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ajay101
Would you mind taking a peek under your dash. You'll need the right size torx driver. It's 2 screws and a slight pull. Remove the OBD2 connector and the LED light connector and the dash cover comes off. If what I have found out is correct, the 2011 position is on the left by the pivot of the park brake. Thanks in advance.
I'll check it. Unfortunately it will be later in the week. My wife had a fender bender and it is in the body shop :-/
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks and sorry to hear that :-(
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

That connector is, on my 2010, NOT where it is shown in the Touareg photo. It is directly above the OBD2 connector, just behind the edge of the dash that meets the removable panel and right up against the left side of the car. I had to use a mirror to find it on my 2010.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
That connector is, on my 2010, NOT where it is shown in the Touareg photo. It is directly above the OBD2 connector, just behind the edge of the dash that meets the removable panel and right up against the left side of the car. I had to use a mirror to find it on my 2010.
Thanks - I'll give that a try... once I get the car back from Audi - AdBlue warning won't stay reset.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you DUTCH VanAtlanta

I was able to find the cable. It was under the dash. The mirror was the trick. See the photos. I used some long nose pliers to reach in and pull the connector down.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Q7 2011 Tow Package - missing electric brake controller connector under dash