Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Q7 battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah know the feeling.
My Nissan Pathfinder battery = 80 bucks
my Q7 the other week battery = $300
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to use jumper cables jumping off another vehicle to the battery posts under the hood eliminating any reprogramming?
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That should work. Those are remote battery terminals and are connected to the actual battery connecting cables.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM
dgc
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TNAQ7
Is it possible to use jumper cables jumping off another vehicle to the battery posts under the hood eliminating any reprogramming?
Just keep in mind the actual Battery cables will then have juice in them when you pull them off the battery so you may want to tape\cover the clamps while making the switch to be safe, don't want to short anything out.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello!
This is my first post on this forum and I have some questions to you.
I own an Audi Q7 3.0 tdi from 2008. In the last two months my Q7 has some problems when it comes to start up. If the cars stays idle for 2 or more days the car starts up very hard or it doesn't start. If the car doesn't start I have to put the cables on it. I went with the car to my local Audi service but the result from the test shows no errors. The Audi service sugesst me to change my battery. Their price for a new battery plus the installation is around 610$. My first reaction was to decline their offer.
After I searched the internet for alternaties, I found this forum. I would like to change the battery myself. I would like to try that way with another battery connected to the battery posts under the hood and after that to replace the old battery with the new one.
So my question is, do you think I could create some new damages/errors on my car after I change the battery? I don't have VAG COM if I have to enter that code for the new battery... Do I really need VAG COM when I chance the battery if the car has all the time juice in it from another battery?
Hope you understood me!
All the best from Romania!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Hello,
I haven't had to change battery at all, but I think it's OK to replace with the same specs or better battery for the Audi. Now, I heard you have to reprogram the power management system, but I think it's not necessary... I don't think the system can talk to the battery to get the id of the battery. Until I have to replace mine, I can't say, but I'll definitely get the after market battery, even from Walmart.
If you change the after market battery, please let us know how it comes out.
Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-22-2013, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't been to the dealership at all. and I have replaced my battery twice. I could be wrong and actually need a reprogram but I once fully drained my battery and got it to fully recharge by just driving.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you all for your answers!
This year I won't change the battery because I won't need the car until middle of January... Now it's time for holiday!
So in January I will replace the battery on my Q7. Until then I will have time to think and consult... But to be honest, I am 90% sure I will decide to replace the battery with an after market one and a little bit more power in it.
If you have some advices for me towards the replacemet of the battery on a Q7, please don't hesitate to write me.
I
Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by din1921
Thank you all for your answers!
This year I won't change the battery because I won't need the car until middle of January... Now it's time for holiday!
So in January I will replace the battery on my Q7. Until then I will have time to think and consult... But to be honest, I am 90% sure I will decide to replace the battery with an after market one and a little bit more power in it.
If you have some advices for me towards the replacemet of the battery on a Q7, please don't hesitate to write me.
I
By mistake I pressed the submit reply and I didn't have time to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
I will let you know next year how it comes out.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOTE to everyone changing their batteries without reprogramming the computer's ECU- you will burn out your new battery. (Happened to my friend.)

Yes, you can place jumper cables on the terminals to save any Radio presets while you change the battery.

Make sure you note the model, serial number of the new replacement battery before it gets installed under the driver's seat.

Get a VAG COM cable or pay your local dealership ~$100 to reprogram the system to know that a new battery has been installed.

Reason for the reprogramming (after talking to an Audi Master Technician)- the Q7 recharges a new battery less than an older battery. The Serial number of the battery has its 'Born On' date. It uses that information to know that a battery is brand new vs. 3 years old. It will recharge the 3 year old battery more so than a newly installed battery, assuming that you programmed the system properly. If you don't tell the system that a new battery has been installed- it will overcharge the new battery giving it a shorter life and probably kill it within a month.

You might first notice that non-essential electronics won't turn on (i.e. radio, some interior lights, etc.) as the system will power all essential items needed to start the car.

Even if you kept the car on a trickle charger, the newly installed battery would still fail.

If you are a DIY person, buy the VAG Com, if not pay the dealership to reprogram the car if you are handy enough to replace the battery yourself.

Typical replacement costs from dealership for OEM battery remove, replace, and reprogram is ~$600.

Interstate battery is ~$200.
Dealership reprogramming is ~$100.

VAG Com cable is $350.
http://www.ross-tech.com/

Quick Reply: Q7 battery replacement