Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 dash light issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 dash light issue

Guys 2011 Q7 TDI. Since delivery having an issue where the dash lights ( instrument panel lights )they automatically Dim when in daytime running lights mode. On overcast days the dash is dark. no lights at all. The dealer thinks its the dimmer switch but that makes no sense . The dimmer works fine once the head lights are on. On my q5 the dimmer has no control of dash lights until headlights are on. Amy thoughts? Also i have no seen the engine pre heater light ( coil ) indicator light on the dash yet. We have had some cold mornings ( mid 30's ) and yet no indicator to state the heater is active . Any ideas on that ? the manual states the icon should light every-time the car is started for a brief second.Then stay on if it is active.

thanx

Rob
Old 11-02-2010, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The dash lights in my 2010 TDI do the same thing. Not a particularly good design, but that's the way they apparently are supposed to work.

As far as your question about the "engine preheater light", that coil in the dash is to indicate the glow plugs. These new TDI engines do not require the glow plugs as much as the older engines, so you'll only see them used fleetingly when the engine is cold; and pretty much not at all once the engine is warmed up a bit. That coil light goes off immediately just as soon as the engine has started, as the glow plugs are no longer needed at that point.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 11-02-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the pre-heater will come on as soon as the doors are unlocked. If that is the case, you may never see the light as the engine would probably be ready to fire as soon as you turn the key (or push the button).
Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pchansen
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that the pre-heater will come on as soon as the doors are unlocked. If that is the case, you may never see the light as the engine would probably be ready to fire as soon as you turn the key (or push the button).
The pre-heater and the glow plugs (coil in cluster) are two different things.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pchansen may be thinking of the pre start fuel pump which pressurises the system on unlock.
The "engine pre heater light (coil)" for cold start only stays on for two seconds if its needed. The manual even states you dont have to wait for it as it will work in combo with starter. I generally wait as the car starts up quicker when I use it but mine is ye olde 2006 EU production model TDI and I do get to see it.
Just passed its first compulsary emissions test... smoke 0.02 parts per M, dunno if the M is cubic metre or per million. Either way the pipes are clean. The guy ran the test 3 times before he got any reading at all. The other test maniacs (or is that mechanics) went over to see. If the emissions had been x 150 it still would have passed. Great engine Audi!