Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Q7 Dead Battery/Replace?Charge ? Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 Dead Battery/Replace?Charge ? Help

Picked up Q7 had a dead battery, the previous owner started it with a battery pack and it ran fine. I trailered it home and figured maybe I could charge the battery, so I hooked my charger to the jump posts as I'm still not sure where the battery is, some posts mention drivers, others passenger seat and something abt. a special tool to turn off air bags when removing seat ? So I hooked my charger but it acts weird, the dash lights come on and off every few minutes, and I hear clicking so I removed it. So can anyone tell me, can I safely charge the battery from those posts and how and where do I remove my battery ? Also can anyone tell me how to open the rear hatch door, the little juice I have will let me pop the lock, not enough to open, but it seems stuck like I can't manually open it more than a few inches and I don't wanna break it and have yet to fund the manual.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actual battery location is under the driver's side seat. There are terminal posts in the engine bay that could be used for jumping the car or trickle charging.

If you replace the battery yourself, be sure to have they system reprogrammed to know about this new battery- I believe that you will need the serial number and build date so that the system will charge the battery longer as it ages. (Dealer may charge you ~$100 for this programming if you don't own or have access to a VAG com cable.)

If you want to replace the battery under the driver's seat, there is a YouTube video if you search for 'Touareg battery replacement'. Follows the steps for the most part.

Regarding the opening of the rear hatch with a dead/dying battery, I would throw it on the trickle charger then use the interior trunk release button to pop the trunk. If it doesn't open, then you can manually push the trunk lid open (or shut). There is a way to set the height of how high the rear hatch opens (by manually lifting or lowering the final setting) so that shorter people can press the trunk close button.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I haven't had to change mine, but these links may help you.

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/how-to-change-q7-battery.html">How to replace Q7 battery</a>

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

hi everyone
i read some of the posts about change the battery on the Q7, 1 question is that do i have to buy 1 of the 6 brands show on the VCDS or i can buy a different brand & how do i change to the brand that not list in there?
thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Buy the one that fits and same or better capacity. I don't think Brand's matter.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Buy the one that fits and same or better capacity. I don't think Brand's matter.

Cheers,

Louis
thanks Louis for your replying
Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I went to Car Quest got a 70 month battery with 950 crank amps which is way better than the OEM battery. Ran me $139, popped it right in, fit perfect. When using the Vag Com if the mfg. doesn't come up just change the original battery number a digit or 2 and that will fool the computer into you installing a new battery, because really thats all it wants to kmow,
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtnxtreme
I went to Car Quest got a 70 month battery with 950 crank amps which is way better than the OEM battery. Ran me $139, popped it right in, fit perfect. When using the Vag Com if the mfg. doesn't come up just change the original battery number a digit or 2 and that will fool the computer into you installing a new battery, because really thats all it wants to kmow,
thanks for the info, that's all i wanted to know.