Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 First time owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in terms of milage, low matainance and resale value.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Our family has an '08 4.2 V8 and we have had zero issues so far. Replaced the tires once, front brakes once and thats it (40K miles now). I know that both VW and Audi have had reliability issues, but in my experience ('01 Cabrio, '01 Beetle, '05 Beetle 'vert, '06 Passat V6, '08 Jetta 2.5, '10 CC 2.0T and '08 Q7 4.2) I have been largely trouble free!

Our back seats in the Q7 are fitted with two car seats, both relatively large PegPerrego units, and the kids have decent leg room. If someone wants to sit between the car seats its a little tight. Before delivery we had headrest DVD players installed which keep back seaters entertained!! Haven't experienced the TDI, but have heard nothing bad about the TDI; plenty of torque and decent mileage for such a heavy vehicle. Not sure if you are looking into the Adaptive Air Suspension, but our 4.2 is fitted with it and we love it.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I appreciate the responses from everyone. Yes, I am considering the air suspension. How much do do you find that you can vary the suspension from soft to sporty?

The one thing that perplexes me is that the Q has exterior dimensions similar to the larger suvs on the market, yet still seems a little tighter inside. I am guessing it is due to the sloping roofline. Any comments on this?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Adaptive Air: I don't find a huge difference from Comfort to Dynamic as it is mostly on Auto mode. Although I don't notice that much difference, when test driving cars the one with Adaptive Air seemed to handle better and absorbed the potholes/road cracks better than the steel spring car. I do like the hunker down mode at highway speed (lowers car for lower center of gravity and better mileage) and also love the rear squat feature that makes loading big, awkward items that much easier.

Dimensions: Yes, I do find it annoying that the outside of the vehicle seems much larger in comparison to the interior space. That said, I do not find it confining at all. Plus it helps that the seats are very comfy and not on the cramped side. Head room is only affected by the slopping roofline for 3rd row riders. 1st and 2nd row headroom is plenty, but you can have even more if you opt for the Pano Roof delete (though the Pano does give the elusion of more open space). Because of the roofline it can be hard to fit awkward items in the trunk, but we have found it to be large enough for all of our needs so far. One side note; went test driving SUVs our second choice was an Land Rover LR4 which had the best 3rd row which could actually carry adults. However with the 3rd row in place there was no cargo room, your head was on a headrest which was an inch from the rear glass. In the Q7, cargo space with the 3rd row in place is small but there is a good foot, foot and a half behind you. Enough to store 2 umbrella strollers and a baby bag for the 2 kids.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkbothers
I am planning to buy a SUV. Considering between AUDI Q7 or BMW X5. I am really confused which one to buy. My preference is AUDI Q7 considering into its interior and the exterior. I am not sure which is one is technically a better one. Please help me to finalize between Q7 and X5.

Also anyone please let me know if there is change in 2012 AUDI Q7 looks. Anyone knows when 2012 Audi Q7 will be in USA market.
We currently have a X5 3.0, its a very nice SUV, we test drove the new X5 3.5, and 4.8's.... the power is nice handling is very good, but I thought the interior space,design, and fit was not as good as the Audi's, both of my kids felt the same..... and the 3rd row seat on the BMW is a Joke....also I hate the fact that BMW X5's the leather seats are not Standard.... but a Option.... C'mon paying over 50k and the leather is option
Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CudaKilla
Drove both the ML and the GL Bluetec before getting the Q7. FWIW..I did not like the GL. It was very comfortable and more spacious but it was 'soft' feeling. Steering was not as precise and it felt like a boat compared to the Q7. It was also over 13K more than the Q7 Premium Plus TDI. The Q7 was sportier and I think it was more of a driver's car. The GL would probably be better if it was just for my wife who could not feel the difference. She did however like the Q7 more because it felt less big.

The ML was a whole different story..not even in the same class and I am glad I did not compromise anything by getting the ML.
Having a lot of experience driving both GL and Q7, I would not refuse either machine and would find it difficult to choose a favourite. In my case I will try and buy a friend's GL320 when he comes to sell it in a year's time to replace my main daily drive which is a Toyota Land Cruiser [that has served me well since new]. The Q7 would still make a nice change, as it does already. The reason I would have the GL as a daily drive would be the low range transfer box, the slightly higher seating position [to see over hedges, of which we have a lot around here] and the towing ability. I do some heavy towing quite regularly and I feel that the Merc would be better at that job.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
Having a lot of experience driving both GL and Q7, I would not refuse either machine and would find it difficult to choose a favourite. In my case I will try and buy a friend's GL320 when he comes to sell it in a year's time to replace my main daily drive which is a Toyota Land Cruiser [that has served me well since new]. The Q7 would still make a nice change, as it does already. The reason I would have the GL as a daily drive would be the low range transfer box, the slightly higher seating position [to see over hedges, of which we have a lot around here] and the towing ability. I do some heavy towing quite regularly and I feel that the Merc would be better at that job.
We were considering the BMW X5 before purchasing our 2011 Q7 (3.0T) last week. Ultimately it game down to 3rd row space, interior fit and finish, and quattro. We have a newborn who sits in a rear-facing carseat in the 2nd row with my wife watching him and plenty of legroom for to spare, and our other two kids (ages 7 and 5) sit in carseats comfortably in the 3rd row. The 40/20/40 split 2nd row allows the kids to get in and out through the 2nd row, but getting in from the side is just as easy. We still have enough room behind the 3rd row to fit a stroller + groceries. We just traded in our 2011 Q5 to accomodate the new addition to the family, and we couldn't be happier. I researched the MB GL, BMW X5, Toyota Highlander, Acura MDX and Volvo XC90 extensively before making this decision. Ultimately, it was a toss-up between the MDX (really a perfect 3 row luxury SUV with much better navigation than the Q7 and more horses under the hood) and the Audi. In the end, I'm an Audi loyalist (currently drive a 2011 S4).
Old 07-23-2011, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Jeez, it is like back in 2007 when we got ours - still got it today and NO, we will not replace it and IF we did it WILL be another Q7 hands down!

Friend has GL and after riding in ours is coming over to a Q7...cannot repeat her views her as I suspect kids may read some of this posts!!!

The plain truth is that the Q7 was a first time winner and continues to gain new owners - well done Audi!
Old 07-24-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really appreciate the info from everyone. I have another question to toss in the mix (I started another thread, but should have posted in this one, found out I cannot edit)

For those parents in the group, do you find that dark interiors are better with your children, and any experience with the wood trim vs sline brushed aluminum and children be appreciated. My first instinct says that darker, grays or blacks, and brushed aluminum would fare better but I was looking for opinions.

Thanks