Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Leak Detection Pump Replaced...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Leak Detection Pump Replaced...

Hi guys, I am a female with NO knowledge about cars. I am trying to purchase a 2011 Audi Q7 premium plus for my parents, found out it's a branded title car which bought by a Illinois dealer from the state of California(they told me, by law, california cant sell this car again because the pump problem, but other states still can). On the carfax, it says the leak detection pump has been replaced when this car had 3000miles and this car has 6000 miles on it right now, also carfax said this car is not under the warranty of carfax buyback. Just wondering, will be ok to purchase this car, my main concern is the safety and resale/trade in value of this car, I have no idea how big the deal is to replace a leak detection pump. Thank you so much for your help. If it's safe for me to buy this car, what will be a ideal price? The dealer asked for $49000.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like something else may be going on. I would look for another Q7.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by fifi1314
Hi guys, I am a female with NO knowledge about cars. I am trying to purchase a 2011 Audi Q7 premium plus for my parents, found out it's a branded title car which bought by a Illinois dealer from the state of California(they told me, by law, california cant sell this car again because the pump problem, but other states still can). On the carfax, it says the leak detection pump has been replaced when this car had 3000miles and this car has 6000 miles on it right now, also carfax said this car is not under the warranty of carfax buyback. Just wondering, will be ok to purchase this car, my main concern is the safety and resale/trade in value of this car, I have no idea how big the deal is to replace a leak detection pump. Thank you so much for your help. If it's safe for me to buy this car, what will be a ideal price? The dealer asked for $49000.
I would run away from such a car. There is a reason it is cheaper than others you have found. Don't tempt fate and buy a Q7 with a bad history. You will thank me later. The Q7 has enough issues on good days.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, in California, any vehicle that went through Lemon Law, cannot be sold again within the state of California. This also brands the title. Also keep in mind, California has some very loose Lemon Law rules and cars get bought back for almost nothing wrong at all. If it took over 30 days to get a part or diagnose the car, they can have the car bought back. Not saying that this is the case with this Q7, but it could be as simple as that.

AFAIK, the car still has new vehicle warranty with Audi, you'll just be the second owner. IMO, I would prefer it to be a Certified Preowned Audi if I were to purchase it. That way you have extended coverage on the vehicle.

As far as the LDP pump, it'a an emission device and really will not affect the cars driveability or usage. The Q7 is not known to have any issues with LDP pumps either. Also, Audi has to repair the vehicle before it can be resold. As for trade in value, if the branded title remains with the vehicle, it can take a hit on the resell value as well. That's most likely why the vehicle is being sold for a cheaper price now.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So did you mean that the carfax is not completely reliable about one car's history? If yes, how can i find out more about this car? Thnx
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

LOP, so did you mean carfax doesnt tell everything about a car's history? If carfax doesnt, how can I find out more about a cars history.
Chickdr, what do you mean "The Q7 has enough issues on good days."? did you have lots problem of your Q7?
Thank you all.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOP, so did you mean carfax doesnt tell everything about a car's history? If carfax doesnt, how can I find out more about a cars history.
Chickdr, what do you mean "The Q7 has enough issues on good days."? did you have lots problem of your Q7?
Thank you all.
Yep- The Q7 is not a bastion of reliability IMHO. We have had issues with the advanced key door handles, sunroof leaks(not supposed to be an issue on '11 model year though), mirror motor fault and many other niggling issues. If you want a rock solid car for your folks I would look at Japanese brands. No, they won't have the drive of a German car, but they will almost assuredly have a lot less problems. My wife's 07 is getting near the end of it's CPO warranty(end of March) and we are starting to have more issues with the door handles and now the side assist feature. I am not looking forward to owning the car out of warranty. I would at least check out the Acura MDX and Lexus RX/GX cars before you buy.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by chickdr
Yep- The Q7 is not a bastion of reliability IMHO. We have had issues with the advanced key door handles, sunroof leaks(not supposed to be an issue on '11 model year though), mirror motor fault and many other niggling issues. If you want a rock solid car for your folks I would look at Japanese brands. No, they won't have the drive of a German car, but they will almost assuredly have a lot less problems. My wife's 07 is getting near the end of it's CPO warranty(end of March) and we are starting to have more issues with the door handles and now the side assist feature. I am not looking forward to owning the car out of warranty. I would at least check out the Acura MDX and Lexus RX/GX cars before you buy.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INPUT Chickdr!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Thank you all.
Carfax lists everything that has been reported.

Regardless, I would stay clear of this Q7.

I agree that earlier Q7 models had some issues as listed by chickdr, but I do not agree that they are prevalent with later year mnodels...as in my '10. I do agree that the mdx is a fine automobile.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Worth noting that the 2011 has a different engine, transmission, sunroof, MMI, CPU, Door handles, exhaust, Lights, door cards, TPMS, Centre diff. Heck practically everything is different down to 12v outlet caps. So I dont know on what basis Chickdr is advising people to look for other brands.
Looks like the advice is based purely on sour grapes!
I wouldnt come back here complaining if you get problems with a Japenese brand as the assurance you are being given is not underwritten., in fact it is not based on anything! I have read enough Japanese car forums to see that they have had issues too.

2 DRl module fails and 2 headlamp fogging issues so far (out of all the 2011 reporting on this forum) neither of which could have affected Chickdr's car. The MY 2007 did not have LED DRLs so no control module to give trouble. BTW the known DRL control module has a TSB and is no longer an issue. The headlamp fogging related to a small batch which did not have a vent hole drilled out and is also no longer an issue.

Chickdr has been an excellent contributer to this forum and in fact his car has had even more problems than he reports in this thread including the Oil pump filter housing replacement. But it cannot be stressed enough none of these issues relate to 2011 Q7.

I have to agree with the others in that there is no point in chasing hard after that particular car unless you know exactly what the issue was and how it was fixed.
If you get the VIN you can go to any Audi service dept and ask them to look at its service history including service campaigns/recalls.

Quick Reply: Q7 Leak Detection Pump Replaced...