Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this exact same thing happened to me yesterday. We have a 2013 Q7 Premium Plus and were coming from a weekend trip and were parked at a rest area parking lot...my 4 year old son was in his car seat in the back with the car running. I stepped out of the car to pick something from the rear passenger seat and as soon as I closed the rear door (the driver door was already closed), my son pressed the lock button on his door and the car was locked.
So the car is running, A/c, stereo all working, and my cellphone, keys, wallet everything is in the car. I start talking to my son asking him to unlock the door by pressing the lock button, but the unlock did not work.
About 5 mins pass and no luck...but fortunately, my wife had her set of keys with her so I was able to open the car and make sure my son was OK (he was beginning to cry, since he wanted me to step into the car, but I could not).
Quite a scary experience...why would ALL doors of the car lock from the rear passenger doors ? What is the reason Audi would build this locking logic to its doors ? I can imagine this locking scenario could happen very frequently - its cold outside, you start the car so its warm by the time the family gets in. You strap your kid into the car seat and by the time you reach the front seat they hit the lock button with their foot or hands...and the kid's locked inside with your key in it.
Has anyone reported this to the dealer or to Audi ? I plan on doing that ASAP.
Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions !
Old 10-19-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

There is actually a complaint on safercar.gov (an NHTSA site). The NHTSA ID Number is 10626358, and you can go to the site and search for a Complaint with this ID number. Audi has done nothing about this !!
Old 10-26-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kamalnjq7
Audi has done nothing about this !!
hahaha... you must be new to audi. they never do anything about any issues unless they are forced to by gov't or class action lawsuits.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

this happened to me 3 times since i installed the viper smart start. good thing i had my phone on me.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default self locking

Okay 2010 Q7 3.6 prestige all options but B&O
Car has locked it self with my key on the center console in a parking garage -valet was pasty white trying to explain that he could not get my car out of the lot
once in downtown boston in a metered space, all change in car - meter reader still gave me a ticket - key in jacket on back seat - AAA opened via passenger door
pulled over to get a coffee, key in brief case - AAA called again

there were other times but I was able to get the second key
Old 11-01-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2008 Q7 and I have shut my door and heard the beep but luckily the key was in my hand.. I have a friend who had a 2013 Q7 S line and her Q7 locked her keys in her car 3 times and two of those times her 14 month old was in the car.. It's a flawed design, thankfully that time it happened it was a cold fall day.. But the other time it happened it was in the middle of summer on a 90°F day... They ended up breaking the front window... Her daughter was fine thankfully. She has since traded that car in for that reason.. I really wish there was a fix for this.. It scares me as I got my Q7 used and I only have one key... I wonder if there will ever be a fix? I thought I read online that it's some EU safety feature and VW has it too.. Does anybody know if it's just a computer glitch or intentional "safety feature"? I'm surprised Audi's smart key isn't like Dodge/Chrysler's smart key, on a dodge with smart key if you lock your keys in the car it will automatically unlock and sound the horn.. I wish Audi did that..
Old 11-02-2015, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With Lexus if you leave a key in the truck it will lock but unlock the drivers side automatically.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to my wife this morning. Walked out to the unlocked car in the garage to take our son to school, opened passenger door and placed her purse containing the key inside, as soon as she shut the door it beeped and locked. Fortunately my key was hanging on the hook inside, and she hadn't locked the house door.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe this only happens when the door handle lock buttons are faulty.
The button gets an ingress of moisture and this causes it to trip the locking as if the button had been pressed.

VAG-COM scan will show fault short to ground for the faulty door handles.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edd W
I believe this only happens when the door handle lock buttons are faulty.
The button gets an ingress of moisture and this causes it to trip the locking as if the button had been pressed.

VAG-COM scan will show fault short to ground for the faulty door handles.
Good call. At one point while testing out the behavior yesterday, I was standing outside the front passenger door with key in hand, and the locks were clicking away repeatedly. The front passenger door lock button is the only one that will not lock the vehicle when pressed.

I have the following relevant codes stored, with coinciding freeze frame time stamps:

00190 - Driver's Door Handle Touch Sensor (G415)
007 - Short to Ground

00191 - Passenger's Door Handle Touch Sensor (G416)
007 - Short to Ground

02126 - Central Locking Button; Exterior Door Handle
008 - Implausible Signal

Does anyone know how involved replacing the door handles is? I will tackle this myself if it doesn't require removing the interior door card.

Quick Reply: Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)