Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 MMI panel +coffee

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 MMI panel +coffee

hello folks. I am a new member and I hope someone has had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction. About two years ago the dog knocked coffee all over the MMI control panel. All the buttons were sticky although the MMI still worked. In the summer it seemed fine but in the winter it was worse. I could use the voice activated button to do anything, but over the last two weeks the MMI comes on then seems to short and turn itself off. Sometimes the parking assistance does work, then once I go into second gear the MMI shuts off. If I get into the car on a call, the Bluetooth picks up my device and it works. as soon as the called is ended, the MMI goes off. It flashes all red around the buttons then goes off.
Do you think it is worth trying to get this unit out and clean or replace, I know a replacement would cost me about £1000.
thanks!!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you're going to hurt anything by trying to clean it. I don't have any experience with this particular item but if it were me, I'd pull the MMI assembly and spray an electronics cleaner in and around the buttons, **** and the back of the assembly. Let it dry (shouldn't take long as the cleaner is very volatile). Plug it back in and see what happens. Be prepared to order an new MMI assembly though.

Good Luck! Let us know what happens.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I followed this video
to remove the console. Once you have this off the car the next thing is to remove the chrome trim which you prise out. I removed the MMI and split this into the buttons and the board. To clean all the buttons I put it in hot water with disinfectant and the sticky coffee came off a treat. The board however was very sticky and after trying to clean I ended up buying the circuit board only on ebay for £180. All is good now, better than £1,000 at an audi garage
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Really glad you got it sorted. As some who has done now bit of advice.

I have one sticky button that works but just feels sticky.

I of course can live with this - but if easy to rectify then it would be nice. How much risk would you say with regards to snapped clips etc.. when removing and wires being disconnected is there to making things worse rather than better?

Cheers

Rob