Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 OTHER NAME (TOY CAR FOR THIEVES)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 OTHER NAME (TOY CAR FOR THIEVES)

Hello everybody i have been an Audi client for more then 20 years and last month i bought an Audi Q7 PREMIUM PACKAGE...it got stolen..in broad day light
the car thieves were able to take the car in less then 20 seconds, i did not understand how they could do it, the car had alarm and immobilizer etc.. so i did some research and what i discovered is appalling, and the more i look in this subject, i realize how we consumers are fooled, first of all car makers know about these flows in their systems,
second they did not do anything about it, simply made a declaration on Audi site that all systems can be bypassed if thieves have the will to do that.

there is available cheap technologies in the market that could eliminate nearly the risk of theft, and its used in other industries, but car manufacturers opted not to use them, so in fact we were left alone facing the thieves.

All that burglars need is to hack the code of the key and the immobilizer, and they do that very fast, and they steal the car in less then 20 seconds...police know about it...its so obvious

i think us consumers should do something about it
we work hard in order to afford our dream car..and we pay big money, so at least we should get the best protection included..what good is the alarm system and the immobilizer, if it can be bypassed in 20 seconds...A lot can be said and proven about all this but are we going to do about it? i hope i get relies on this cause it concern us all, just imagine the feeling of having your bran new car stolen ....
Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

IMHO, if a thief wants your car bad enough, they will find a way to take it.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Q7 OTHER NAME (TOY CAR FOR THIEVES)

yeh true but it should not be so easy, specially that i read posting since may 2006 Audi VW started making it impossible for dealers to get you an additional copy of the key's too many people have access to the encryption and finding a way is not hard they just need a laptop and they can scan all the frequencies you have in the car...and duplicate it..now thats a flow in production...i am not blaming thieves for being thieves, but look at this small example
Panasonic AuthenticamTM employs Iridian Technologies' iris recognition

Its used in ATM machines..its so simple and full proof i mean when i pay for a Q7 more then 112k usd i think having something like that in the car that banks even use ..i don't need an immobilizer and an alarm that can be bypassed in 20 seconds...tell me how hard is it to have iris recognition so it can start the car and wired cables the good old cheap way no wireless fancy stuff..heck it cost 360$ only on ebay..so what was wring if Audi placed such security in the cars the technologies exist and its being used by banks...i admit and agree that everything that is written no matter how much you encrypt it can be hacked..but come on ..why Audi did not give me real protection.. specially that they knew there is a flow at least since may 2006..were in the 21st century more cars are being stolen..and insurance getting higher and only us consumer are loosing..and sorry i cant blame it on thieves anymore...they could and should have did this. but i wonder why it was not done..lack of resources...i doubt...lack on ingenuity ...i also doubt Audi is known and propose it self as having one of the most advanced tech..and vision in the industry...yeah thieves are smart and committed..but when the car can only be started if it recognize you..thats it its full proof...but then wait insurance wont have to replace your car ...hmmm...one less vehicle sold

cheers
Old 01-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Q7 OTHER NAME (TOY CAR FOR THIEVES) sample thecnologie

Verifying identity with Iris Reader Biometric technology overcomes many of the disadvantages of conventional ID and verification techniques such as keys, ID cards and passwords. Instead, Panasonic's solution uses on Iris Reader to verify the identity of authorized persons - positively and definitively - with virtually no chance of mis-identification.
Safe and easy to use Panasonic Biometrics relies on the complex and intricate patterns in the iris of the eye, which are unique to each individual.

This is not an advertisement for panasonic this is what i found first on the net ..samsung and the other power house have similar products.

But here you can see that there is ways to stop thieves if car producers wanted...and its 3 years old technologies so where are we today from and here i quote form audi site :

The immobilizer is an electronic anti-theft device. It is activated when the ignition key is removed and, together with the engine control unit, largely prevents unauthorized starting of the engine. The system uses a transmitter and receiver unit in the ignition key (transponder). Whenever an attempt is made to start the engine, it transmits a new code to the car's electronics. The immobilizing is only cancelled if the key sends an authorization code. New encryption technology protects the system against electronically copied vehicle keys.

Note:
No system can provide 100% protection against theft. If thieves possess the necessary skill and determination, they may even be able to overcome the electronic immobilizer.

That audi position today and our situation falls under the note at the end of the statement, please people do not wait till somebody steal your car, were all here Audi fans so we deserve to have the same care form our manufacturor

cheers
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 PM

Paul3.2 is correct - if someone wants your car that badly, they will take it
Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Paul3.2 is correct - if someone wants your car that badly, they will take it

how convince me pls. is it a general rule, or the world lack new technologies,...its like were giving in to thieves..so what for all these alarms and immobilizer that we pay for if your all sure that no matter what...thieves rule??? i don't believe that...pls tell me if a security system as the one i gave example of was used, the eye control thing, how can thieves steel the car unless they high jack it or tow it...witch limit the possibility of theft only to these 2 factors...please explain to me why you approve with Paul

Regards
Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default He agrees with Paul32 because he's correct. If they REALLY want it, they WILL take it.

As you mentioned yourself, a flatbed would trump your fancy biometric security.

I'm sorry to hear that your Q7 was stolen, but your diatribe about Audi's lack of an effective security/anti-theft system applies to basically every car manufacturer.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: He agrees with Paul32 because he's correct. If they REALLY want it, they WILL take it.

Aha so no matter what thieves truly rule, but don't you think that decreasing the opportunities of theft and cornering them with 2 options only, witch are much more difficult then simply hacking the car signals, my car was stolen in early after noon , they simply copied the signal and opened the door started the engine and left no body noticed. while if they had to tow it then a hundred person at least could have stooped them...please saying that if they want they take is not enough. tell em please god forbid, if they stole your bran car on Christmas would you just say ..they want so they take ...??
Old 01-06-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: He agrees with Paul32 because he's correct. If they REALLY want it, they WILL take it.

For sure it applies to all high end manufacturers, yes all of them should do their best to provide us clients with all possible protection...without withholding, AUDI, MERCEDES BENZ, BMW and all the rest these are companies that sells us more then 100k cars, in Europe its not very often when you see a flatbed taking a car of the street and they have to have the right papers to do it..and enough noise i am talking Audi cause i have had audi's for more then 20 years, and i waited 2 years so i can get the Q7, and yes i would prefer to have a more effective security in the car, cause if they want to bring in a flat bed ..well their welcome,
if they want to high jack , also their well come , but at least theire choices are limited and the appealing situations and probabilities become slender, yes all high end manufacturers should and must provide the best and the latest tech for such kind of money...
Old 01-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Okay - you and your wife are out in your new Q7 with the retina scanners. You just had a wonderful

dinner, and are about to leave for a show when suddenly, someone grabs your wife - she willingly follows because she's just been told that his partner will kill you if she makes any noise.

At that same moment, the thiefs partner grabs you, and tells you to shut the hell up, otherwise, his partner will kill your wife.

The thief leads you to your new vehicle, and asks you to start the vehicle. If you do not comply, he will tell his partner, who is now across the street, to kill your wife.

What do you do? The thieves certainly have a very good position to bypass the retinal scanners on your vehicle. You either allow them in, or allow your wife to be seriously injured.

I'm not saying we're giving into the thieves. I'm just saying that if someone really wants to take something, they will find a way.

HOWEVER, I think there are plenty of third-party security measures you can install/apply, which can enhance the existing security system on any vehicle, thus making it easier to locate/recover the vehicle and/or making it harder to start the vehicle.

Do you know about Lojack? It's a tracking device located on your vehicle, which allows the police to track down your vehicle. It's something that's offered by some dealers. I'd look into that.

What about The Club, or some variation of that? How about a video system inside of your car that takes video of the passengers if the security system is not disabled? What about an ignition cut-off switch?

I personally believe that the best thing you can do is to make stealing your car that much harder than someone else's. Installing additional measures might make a veteran thief take a whole 2 minutes to steal your car, versus the 20 seconds you've quoted.

Of course, the things I've mentioned doesn't exactly address car-jacking.

Sorry about your Q. I've had my A4 stolen before - it's not a very pleasant feeling. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Q7 OTHER NAME (TOY CAR FOR THIEVES)