Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 out of warranty a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 out of warranty a bad idea?

Looking at a few used Q7's. I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible before pulling the trigger. What major items should I ask about that usually go wrong within the first few years of ownership?

In general, I would like to have warranty, but is an out of warranty Q7 usually problematic? The vehicles in our budget are nearing the warranty expiration period which is why I ask.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't take the chance. For a bit more you could probably get a certified one.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just purchased my 2007 Q7 which was coming off it's 3 year lease. I had 3 options, purchase it from Audi at the closed end lease price, buy it from the dealer with CP Warranty or without the warranty. I chose to purchase from a dealer who bundled the CPO warranty at exactly the same price that Audi was going to sell me my car without warranty.

If that is not an option for you, you may be able to purchase a warranty from Audi directly. The 2 year (extends mfr warranty to 6), 100,000 mile warranty will run you ~$1800.

IMHO, this is well worth it.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UdNag
I just purchased my 2007 Q7 which was coming off it's 3 year lease. I had 3 options, purchase it from Audi at the closed end lease price, buy it from the dealer with CP Warranty or without the warranty. I chose to purchase from a dealer who bundled the CPO warranty at exactly the same price that Audi was going to sell me my car without warranty.

If that is not an option for you, you may be able to purchase a warranty from Audi directly. The 2 year (extends mfr warranty to 6), 100,000 mile warranty will run you ~$1800.

IMHO, this is well worth it.
UdNag...can you share what you had to do to negotiate being able purchase from your dealer who bundled the CPO warranty at exactly the same price that Audi was going to sell me my car without warranty?

My '07 Q7 lease is up at the end of March and I plan to buy mine as well since its so much more to lease a 2010 right now. I talked to AFS earlier today and of course they quoted me the residual price that was in my contract plus taxes and the final two payments and a 60 month loan rate of 4.51%. Did you take out a loan through the dealer, and if so which lender and rate?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

How did you buy the 2007 Q7 with CPO at the residual? My 2007 residual is way under the market value.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Seems like the general consensus is that the warranty is worth its weight in gold, since even ppl that want to keep their leases want warranty.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say get it. Repairs to otherwise warranty-covered parts can be incredibly expensive. That said, at least in Europe, the Q7 is getting a reputation as rock solid.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the residual value of a 07 3.6 Premium?? anybody know?? I'm in th eprocess of buying one coming off lease and I'm just interested. Some one said around $27K. That sounds really cheap but I only have to go with the market value right now. depending on the options it sounds like you can make a few grand selling it out right. That's what the guy I'm buying mine from is doing.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by old96A4
what is the residual value of a 07 3.6 Premium?? anybody know?? I'm in th eprocess of buying one coming off lease and I'm just interested. Some one said around $27K. That sounds really cheap but I only have to go with the market value right now. depending on the options it sounds like you can make a few grand selling it out right. That's what the guy I'm buying mine from is doing.
Of course the actual residual values vary somewhat depending on the options we got on our vehicles and the residual % that AFS used in the month we leased. In my case, I have a 3.6 Premium S-line and my residual is around $27,600. I think the market values have gone up significantly in the last year as the SUV market has started recovering and because Audi seems to have greatly reduced the availability of the 2010 Q7s here in the US.

My initial plan was to sell my at end of lease for a profit and get into a new Q7 or maybe another brand, but due to the higher market prices and less attractive lease rates compared to 2007, it just makes more sense to buy my Q7 now and sell it later when I just have to have something new and improved!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is all dependent on time of year you bought it and options. My 2007 3.6 Premium Q7 had a 54% residual when I bought it and the residual is around $31.5K. That happens to be around trade in value.

Quick Reply: Q7 out of warranty a bad idea?