Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 rear seat back vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 rear seat back vibration

the 2nd row rear seat backs bounce around and vibrate even over minor rough road situations. The resulting noise is annoying. anyone else have this problem and is there a fix. dealer says others complain about it and they dont have a solution.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you sure its the seats and not something in the tool tray under the back desk?

Either way, mine don't rattle. Sounds like a job for some weatherstripping.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

My Q is approaching 1 year old here in 5 days and has had a rear seat vibration from the get go. It is annoying and should not be happening. During the first service they worked on it for half a day and it quit. That was the seat back behind the passenger. Now I have a vibration behind the driver and it seems to be the seat back also. If I put down the center section of the seat back it goes away. I have wrapped the post it latches onto with a felt/tape wrap and it still happens. It is not the post/latch but seems to be the whole 60% seat back when latched together doing a sympathetic vibration. If someone sits there of course no noise. I also get a metallic rattle from under the seat cushion area of the drivers side passenger seat. If I move the seat fore or aft it will go away for a while, so it seems it is the linkage in the seat adjust system.

When I get home from Iraq in September it is going in for its next service and I will have this run to ground. Again I think it is embarrassing when someone would go with me and my fine German SUV is vibrating and rattling.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JNRB2009
the 2nd row rear seat backs bounce around and vibrate even over minor rough road situations. The resulting noise is annoying. anyone else have this problem and is there a fix. dealer says others complain about it and they dont have a solution.
I too have been dealing with a rattle that seems to be eminating from the back seats which is brought on by uneven roads. The dealer has road tested it twice(with me in the car) and 2x they were unable to pinpoint where the rattle is coming from. It's tolerable, but I expect more from a 50K SUV. my 04 A4 avant was rock solid and never rattled. Im considering having a second dealer take a look..
Old 05-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default you described it perfectly...

Originally Posted by Railflyer
My Q is approaching 1 year old here in 5 days and has had a rear seat vibration from the get go. It is annoying and should not be happening. During the first service they worked on it for half a day and it quit. That was the seat back behind the passenger. Now I have a vibration behind the driver and it seems to be the seat back also. If I put down the center section of the seat back it goes away. I have wrapped the post it latches onto with a felt/tape wrap and it still happens. It is not the post/latch but seems to be the whole 60% seat back when latched together doing a sympathetic vibration. If someone sits there of course no noise. I also get a metallic rattle from under the seat cushion area of the drivers side passenger seat. If I move the seat fore or aft it will go away for a while, so it seems it is the linkage in the seat adjust system.

When I get home from Iraq in September it is going in for its next service and I will have this run to ground. Again I think it is embarrassing when someone would go with me and my fine German SUV is vibrating and rattling.
We dont get the metallic rattle, but you can hear and visually see the seat back vibrate over uneven road. I too have wrapped the the post with tape and only get a slight improvement. yes if someone sits back there it will not happen because body weight pushing against the seat back prevents it. Maybe we will try a different service dept.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had exactly this problem, seats and interior rattle over the slightest bumps. I got my geometry checked and adjusted, got the wheels balanced, both had zero effect on the vibrations. I thought my middle row seat rails might be faulty/worn out, sometimes the vibration was that bad I could see the headrests vibrating a lot. Then I noticed the vibration would also happen on relatively new (and one would suppose, flat and smooth) motorway. I investigated further and found a VW Toureg (which is the same platform as the Q7) Technical Service Bulletin which advises the first thing to check is the fitment of the wheels onto the hubs. I downloaded the TSB, followed the instructions by talking off each wheel in turn and aligning the hub/disc (rotor) then refitting each wheel. SOLVED! No more rattle. No more vibrations other than what I would expect for that road (ie. smooth road = no vibrations, worn road = I can feel the road surface causing vibrations). Most importantly, NO MORE RATTLES OR SEAT VIBRATIONS.

You can access the TSB right here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...21239-9999.pdf
The following users liked this post:
mrcall77 (03-01-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottishAudiQ7
I had exactly this problem, seats and interior rattle over the slightest bumps. I got my geometry checked and adjusted, got the wheels balanced, both had zero effect on the vibrations. I thought my middle row seat rails might be faulty/worn out, sometimes the vibration was that bad I could see the headrests vibrating a lot. Then I noticed the vibration would also happen on relatively new (and one would suppose, flat and smooth) motorway. I investigated further and found a VW Toureg (which is the same platform as the Q7) Technical Service Bulletin which advises the first thing to check is the fitment of the wheels onto the hubs. I downloaded the TSB, followed the instructions by talking off each wheel in turn and aligning the hub/disc (rotor) then refitting each wheel. SOLVED! No more rattle. No more vibrations other than what I would expect for that road (ie. smooth road = no vibrations, worn road = I can feel the road surface causing vibrations). Most importantly, NO MORE RATTLES OR SEAT VIBRATIONS.

You can access the TSB right here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...21239-9999.pdf
That is good news, I hate watching the middle row headrests wiggling at me in the mirror, especially with the kids car seats in, makes them rattle like crazy.
I’ll have to try that TSB.
mrcall77 (02-21-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ScottishAudiQ7

Many thanks for sharing this information!!!
ScottishAudiQ7 (03-01-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mrcall77
Many thanks for sharing this information!!!
I went to my tire guy, and he followed the VW bulletin about the wheel settings. Sure enough, no more bad vibrations...
ScottishAudiQ7 (03-03-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear seats rattle

I had the same problem it was very annoying, I have the two captain seats in second row, I finally stuffed a sponge in between the seat base and console and same on other side . By doing that now the backs don’t rattle . You have to stuff it in really tight . It worked for me hope it works for you all

Quick Reply: Q7 rear seat back vibration