Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Rear sunroof won't close

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Rear sunroof won't close

My 07 Q7 rear sunroof won't close all the way. Anyone have the same problem or have suggestions? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rhynes
My 07 Q7 rear sunroof won't close all the way. Anyone have the same problem or have suggestions? Thanks!
Relocate to a place where never rains.

I used to clean the tracks with WD40 on my A6 when the sunroof got stuck. It would work normally afterwards till the next time. But it had a hand cranked on/off ability inside the roof console cover.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rarslan
Relocate to a place where never rains.

I used to clean the tracks with WD40 on my A6 when the sunroof got stuck. It would work normally afterwards till the next time. But it had a hand cranked on/off ability inside the roof console cover.
Thanks i will check the track and manual crank. This is the smaller sun roof in the back that only tilts and basically it won't seal. Maybe the manual crank will do it (if an option)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I haven't used it in a while, my rear sunroof occasionally will attempt to close but pop back open. I have to hit the close button twice rapidly when that happens and it does shut after a few attempts. I'm sure it just needs to be lubed, and I will have it looked at the next time it's in for service.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhynes
Thanks i will check the track and manual crank. This is the smaller sun roof in the back that only tilts and basically it won't seal. Maybe the manual crank will do it (if an option)
Try to close the roof with the shade in the shady closed position. There's a service bulletin out where the shade stops break or become dislodged and allow the shade to retract further than it supposed to once you open the roof. Then when you try to close the roof, the front edge of the shade, with the handle and lock, gets pinched by the glass and either it won't close all the way or the pinch protection kicks in and reverses the roof. This happended to my Q7 and it was fixed by the dealer.

Another thought is that the plastic side panels that you see on either side of the roof, when it is open, get dislodged and are being trapped between the frame and the glass somehow such that it doesn't close all the way. This happened to my Q7 as well but I was able to fix that by myself. I think somebody put their hand up there when it was open and knocked it off.

Last edited by ATL2.8Qmmm; 07-26-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I regularly clean all rubber seals and gaskets in my cars with a product call Vinylex by Lexol. It cleans, lubricates and protects the seals and gaskets; and I never have a problem with them. This includes my 14 yr old (built July 28, 1999) MB G-Class that still has all of its original rubber.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 07-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ATL2.8Qmmm
Try to close the roof with the shade in the shady closed position. There's a service bulletin out where the shade stops break or become dislodged and allow the shade to retract further than it supposed to once you open the roof. Then when you try to close the roof, the front edge of the shade, with the handle and lock, gets pinched by the glass and either it won't close all the way or the pinch protection kicks in and reverses the roof. This happended to my Q7 and it was fixed by the dealer.

Another thought is that the plastic side panels that you see on either side of the roof, when it is open, get dislodged and are being trapped between the frame and the glass somehow such that it doesn't close all the way. This happened to my Q7 as well but I was able to fix that by myself. I think somebody put their hand up there when it was open and knocked it off.
This sounds very similiar to my issue. I will have a look. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine does the same, but only when I do the auto open(hold the open button on the key fob). If I turn the car off than on it clears the issue and behaves normally.