Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 S-line Wheel Arch Plastic Trim - horrible wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 S-line Wheel Arch Plastic Trim - horrible wear

Has anyone had to change the plastic wheel arch trim that is added to the S-Line with 21" rims??
Audi won't repair under warranty(I am 2000kms past limit) and the finish is gone - at $250 a corner to replace with the same crap that will likely wear I need a solution.
Wass thinking of wrapping but wrap on plastic come with no guarantees it will stay long term.
Any ideas would help !

Thanks,
Hunter84
Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow, Audi won't warranty? Even Mercedes warrantied a bunch of trim pieces I bitched about losing their finishes and wearing crappy
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black plastic trim.....you'd think the Germans would use something UV stable and otherwise suitable for the elements to last as long as a vehicle's finish. Unfortunately this is not the case and there are an increasing number of folks who are upset at the way all of this "trim" the manufacturers use looks over time. Audi or Ford.....raw plastic is raw plastic but I'd be upset too and I am with other vehicles.

Many including myself have wished for aftermarket S-Line wheelwell trim. Unfortunately there aren't collectively enough of us Q7 owners to even pay for the molding tooling, much less the product dynamic. I'd love to have a color matched set on my silver S-Line, and keep my 20's.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about that plasticoat the guys are discussing on the Q5 forum? It may not be particularily strong but easy to apply and recoat.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be wary of products like these: http://www.foreverblack.com/products.html

It seems to work well on some types of plastic, and terrible on others. Not sure what the Audi's are made of.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bozack
wow, Audi won't warranty? Even Mercedes warrantied a bunch of trim pieces I bitched about losing their finishes and wearing crappy
Audi AASM(Regional Manager) shut down Service Manager in warranty claim in part due to me being 2000kms over the warranty - although wear like this clearly started earlier and I didn't catch it and make a point to claim it before I hit my service interval - would have expected some amnesty on kms but no. The other question is what is normal wear and tear - when the service manager says "I've never seen this before" but the service advisor on the same trip says "I never knew you could get factory 21's on the car" - tells me not enough S-lines are driving around the Toronto area vs other places, so why would you see this issue when you don't see enough of the cars.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Colour matched can be done but it is paint with primer and process costs - no guarantee of durability or a wrap which is less expensive but still no guarantee of durability and no warranty from wrap installer - I am looking into some of the other treatments - and thanks for your replies guys. If you hear of something find this thread again.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is strange. My trim is fine.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

$250/corner? I just asked at my dealer and was quoted over $500/corner!! It would be over $2000 to add that trim to a non-S-Line Q7.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

My brand new 2012 with less than 1000 miles has the left front falling off. It looks like just a glob of glue is holding in on. I am kind f surprised they are glued on.

Quick Reply: Q7 S-line Wheel Arch Plastic Trim - horrible wear