Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Sunroof delete

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Q7 Sunroof delete

I searched the discussion and found few references to people ordering the Q7 without the sunroof. I contacted a local dealer to inquire about a Q7 without a sunroof and he said all Q7's they order, outside of customer requests, will have a sunroof. He said they ordered one last year and they had to dump it a huge loss to get rid of it. Does a sunroof delete really decrease the value that much? I know many of you love your sunroofs, but I have never liked the sun beating down on me, or the noise and turbulence it creates when open...my personal preference, I know. I know you can cover it, but...why have it in the first place if it will not be used? Also, the sunroof in the Q7 is way too big for my tastes. I have no problem ordering one without the sunroof, but just wondered if the dealer was being a little melodramatic??

Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Q7 Sunroof delete

Everyone loves the Q7 Sunroof. I've never heard of anyone declining it before...
Old 09-24-2007, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sounds normal

I am sure that less than 5% of Q7s come without sunroof, and realistically probably less than 1%.

The vast majority of Americans demand three things in a new car...

Leather, Sunroof, and Automatic Transmission
Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Hehe, I don't have sunroof on my Q7. I agreed with mikemdd. Why pay extra $$$ if you are not going to use it. That's what I did with mine, omitted the sunroof, used the $ and got more upgrades. At least it works for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We specifically ordered one without it. The dealer had a base 3.6 without sunroof in stock but that may have been the only one. All that I could see on the lot had the sunroof.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As follow-up, the dealer was good and wrote me back saying that he did a national search and found one in the midwest (where I am) without a sunroof, but it was "sold". He also said there were "quite a few" in California and the south. Maybe it is region specific. Anyway, your comments and thoughts are appreciated. Looks like purely a personal taste issue, as well as somewhat guaranteed profit for the dealer...

Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have one on order without a sunroof for many of the reasons you stated. All the ones on the lot here in sunny southern Va. had sunroofs but at a dealer in N. Fla., most on the lot did not. For a car in this price range, I think you should get what you want!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't worry about it

I ordered my 3.6 premium without it. I didn't like the fact that the Q7 uses a mesh sun blocker instead of something opaque.

Where I live in Dallas, I tried a Q with the sunroof, but the sun was relentless AND the A/C struggled to keep the interior cool.

Use your $1800 on some other options.

As for the dealer saying you're making a mistake, don't believe it. They always say that to get you to buy loaded units.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I have had 2 Q7s without sunroofs (EU versions)

had dust holes...sorry sunroofs in my previous 10 cars and dont miss them.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Key factors are of course personal preference and geography. After seeing the Q7's humongous......

...panoramic sunroof, I absolutely did not want to deal with the significant increase in solar load inside the Q7 from the Texas sun. I also appreciate the 3 mesh sunscreens in the Q (although I wish the rear one was electric).
So, rather than ordering the Q7 4.2 Premium, I went with the base model and loaded it up. With the 4-zone A/C, my Q stays very comfortable even in 95 degree sun. Compared to the Premium, I'm missing only the sunroof and the headlight washers, so this approach worked well for me.
Regarding resale value, in my geography, absence of the "solar furnace" will not be an issue.

Quick Reply: Q7 Sunroof delete