Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI rattling noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 TDI rattling noise on startup

I own a 2013 Q7 TDI with about 40k miles on it.
Sometimes, when I startup the car, I hear a rattling noise from the engine, that goes away after a few seconds. It seems to come from the driver side. It has happened when the engine was cold and warm, but does not happen all the time.

The last time I went to the dealer for service, I mentioned this and they said they would take a look. However, they said that all they hear is a clicking/ticking sound, which is normal, and they did not hear any rattling sound.

Did anyone experience this? Any suggestions / solutions? The car is due for its next scheduled service now, so will follow up with them.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine rattles a little on start up, I believe it's just the lack of oil on the lifters at start up, once oil pressure is up, usually within a matter of seconds, the rattling stops. If it doesn't stop rattling, then you know there's an issue. Probably the cam chain tensioner, I recall someone here posting that theirs had to be replaced recently for excessive rattling.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SoCalQ7TDI
Mine rattles a little on start up, I believe it's just the lack of oil on the lifters at start up, once oil pressure is up, usually within a matter of seconds, the rattling stops. If it doesn't stop rattling, then you know there's an issue. Probably the cam chain tensioner, I recall someone here posting that theirs had to be replaced recently for excessive rattling.
Thanks for your response SoCalQ7TDI! My concern is that the rattling was not there before, and started after about 26k miles of use. Could this lead to any damage in the long term, or be symptomatic of any other problem?
Old 05-01-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sashir
I own a 2013 Q7 TDI with about 40k miles on it.
Sometimes, when I startup the car, I hear a rattling noise from the engine, that goes away after a few seconds. It seems to come from the driver side. It has happened when the engine was cold and warm, but does not happen all the time.

The last time I went to the dealer for service, I mentioned this and they said they would take a look. However, they said that all they hear is a clicking/ticking sound, which is normal, and they did not hear any rattling sound.

Did anyone experience this? Any suggestions / solutions? The car is due for its next scheduled service now, so will follow up with them.

Thanks!
Did you ever figure the rattle out? I have a 14 Q7 TDI does the same thing.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

its normal, hydraulic lifters and timing chain tensioners need a few seconds for oil pressure to build before they quiet down.. its mostly the chain your hearing.