Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Towing a Boat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Towing a Boat?

I currently have a 2001 Suburban towing my Wakeboard Boat approx weight 5500lbs.
I am purchasing a 2014 Q7 TDI
Problem is Dealers won't let me pull my boat to test drive the ride.

How do I decide if it will be a good vehicle as far as ride quality compared to Suburban.

My issues:
Ive been towing boats for 15 years Suburban Type vehicle but really liked to downsize
I tow 45 min to lake 2X month and 300 miles on vacations.
boat ramp is slippery when wet.
Do I need suspension package?

Any and All suggestions welcome

3 dealers in my area have said Nada for insurance reasons.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your limit (officially anyways) is 6600lbs with the tow package. I tow a boat that weighs approximately 6200lbs as it sits on the trailer (trailer weight, gas, water, skis and all the other crap you end up taking included). I have a 2011 TDi with air suspension. We have absolutely ZERO problems towing our boat. I had an expedition before the Q7 and there is no comparison between the two. The Q7 wins every time. I would highly recommend the air suspension as it will auto level the car. Another really cool thing the Q7 will automatically do is switch the brake bias to the rear wheels if it senses a trailer hooked up and a rearward slope. No more front wheels skidding down a slippery ramp when trying to back your boat down. Basically slippery ramps won't matter anymore. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know.

So
Air suspension is a MUST or a nice thing to have. It means ordering vs buying off the lot cause no one around here seems to order it.

Also I failed to mention my drive way is rather steep and turning for the first 30', is that an issue backing up.

What about the 295 summer tires on 21" rims. I'm thinking of the all weather tires instead. One car has Sline package which has larger tires.

Thank for tour input
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Forgot to say Ill be backing into that steep turning driveway
Old 10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 747capt
Forgot to say Ill be backing into that steep turning driveway
I am towing 4,000 lbs (yes, smaller than your needs), no air suspension, on 20" wheels with TDI. Previously, I have towed same boat for years with Durango 5.7L Hemi. I also test towed with newer Yukon Denali for 75 miles.
I absolutely love the Q7. The TDI pulls stronger than the Hemi. It feels stronger than 6.2 Denali. My wife commented the suspension has considerably less movement than the Durango. The Denali was pretty tight (with air suspension).

Q7 is bit smaller than those other vehicles for interior space, but is so much better for driving around otherwise. Great ride, premium quality, German character. My only concern is I am spoiled now. My wife is in an MDX and prefers the Q7.

I would not want the 21" wheels as they don't have enough sidewall for me.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

One other suggestion, see if you can borrow a used model for extended test drive. That is how I towed my boat for test with Denali. I didn't ask permission to tow and maybe was at risk if an accident or something happened, but worth it to me to feel it personally.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the difference in the trailer package vs adding it by the dealer after the purchase? I'm also coming from a lifetime of blazers yokes and Denali's of towing. I love the Q but feel a little less manly for down sizing lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 747capt
Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know.

So
Air suspension is a MUST or a nice thing to have. It means ordering vs buying off the lot cause no one around here seems to order it.

Also I failed to mention my drive way is rather steep and turning for the first 30', is that an issue backing up.

What about the 295 summer tires on 21" rims. I'm thinking of the all weather tires instead. One car has Sline package which has larger tires.

Thank for tour input
Air suspension is not a must but a REALLY NICE feature to have when towing. I back my boat down a winding, steep 200' driveway so no problems there either.

Where do you live? You could always drive mine as my boat has not been put away for the winter yet.

BTW, here's the image out of the Audi familiarization guide for service techs explaining how the car switches brake bias while backing down a slope.

Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 4022
Size:  90.4 KB

Last edited by pchansen; 10-08-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ctsearay
What's the difference in the trailer package vs adding it by the dealer after the purchase?
They do not have the same towing rating but also, adding one later does involve extensive wiring job.

Last edited by rarslan; 10-11-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually got a price from the dealer and they said for the hitch and installation $1435. I didn't think that was as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wonder what the air suspension would be, probably crazy money.

I was thinking that the towing package would have something different in the drive train or tranny cooler or something. Glad to find out its just the air suspension.

Quick Reply: Q7 Towing a Boat?