Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Towing package

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

The car definitely detects the trailer first and then turns on the outputs. When I connect my trailer there is a short delay before it lights up.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had Audi install a hitch on the 2015 Q7 TDI I bought new (stop sale) less than 2 years ago. When they came available I jumped on this car because it was a crazy good deal but it had no hitch. So, I finally had one installed this summer at an Audi dealer. I got 3 quotes from 3 area Audi dealers: $3200, $2700, and $1700. Had to drive an hour to get the $1700 price at Audi Westwood in Ma.

I find it crazy how much the dealer prices varied within one hour from me. I'm sure somebody will tell me $1700 was still high, but it is the best I could find.

And, we love the new 2015. Sold back a grey 2011 Q7 Prem. Plus. TDI - 85K miles - for $42K (with the Bosch settlement) and bought a new S-Line 2015 daytona grey for $45K all in delivered. 3K and we got an upgraded new TDI. No regrets at all, but we do notice a bit less performance.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

You can buy the OEM kit off ECSTuning for $900: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/4l0092101c/

Then buy/borrow a VCDS and do the procedure linked above, its a pretty easy DIY.. just take the rear bumper cover off, bolt new hitch in.. remove a piece of trim in the trunk to get the module in.. all of its documented, most of it on these forums.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dreadlocks. I should have asked you first. you have given me good advice in the past. thank you.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
OEM Hitches can be installed after the fact, but only vehicles built with the Tow Package at factory got the upgraded radiator fans.. Gives you an extra 1000lbs of towing capacity, but there is no visible indicators between an OEM Hitch installed after the fact or a Factory installed hitch, they look the same.. the only way to know 100% for sure your used vehicle came from the factory with the tow package is to pull the original build/order info based off the VIN (ie, Window sticker), really only Audi Dealers/Employees can retrieve this information to confirm, online VIN decoders and stuff wont show this option.
Dreadlocks, I am looking at a 2015 Q7 TDI with "Tow Package" on the invoice for an additonal ~$500. Is that the correct and full upgrade? Just thought it would be more $. I'm planning on pulling my 2012 Corvette to track day events. Haven't figured out a trailer yet.
Thanks for any feedback. You pop up all the time regarding the two package.
Dave
Old 01-17-2020, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drdavet
Dreadlocks, I am looking at a 2015 Q7 TDI with "Tow Package" on the invoice for an additonal ~$500. Is that the correct and full upgrade? Just thought it would be more $. I'm planning on pulling my 2012 Corvette to track day events. Haven't figured out a trailer yet.
Dave
The towing package from the factory on my 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI was US$550.00. It has 6,600 lb towing capacity, increased cooling capacity and a hitch receiver.

If it's not already installed, you will need the following adapter at the trailer plug next to the receiver. This is identical to what Audi will sell you for a lot more $$

Tow Plug Socket Tow Plug Socket

You will also need to add a harness up under the dash for a brake controller. The attached instructions are for earlier model Cayennes and Touaregs, but are valid for the 2015 Q7 with the factory towing package.
Attached Files

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 01-17-2020 at 04:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DUTCH VanAtlanta:
dreadlocks (01-17-2020), GeriatricGinger (12-21-2022)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by drdavet
Dave
As far as I know, all diesels and the 4.2 got the upgraded cooling regardless of tow package or not. But, you can also find your build sticker in the spare tire well, and run that through a decoder. My old 4.2 and the TDI are factory tow, my 3.6 is not (I added the factory controller, hitch, and even a brake controller). On the 3.6 I used a cheap brake controller and it plugged right in with the harness I made, and works without any issues (tested with two different trailers, my '01 Haulmark car trailer and my parents' '19 4-Star horse trailer). I moved the expensive brake controller from the 4.2 to the TDI, and it required grabbing the brake signal from the pedal switch (known issue with some controllers). But it works and was easy to install (again).

Regarding a trailer, if you want some comfort and more security in the paddock, get an enclosed trailer. If you want better towing MPG, get an open trailer. I love my Haulmark, but there are times an open trailer would be nice (like if I have to use my 3.6 to haul my Coupe anywhere).
Old 01-18-2020, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 towing package

Go to AudiWorld-Tools-VIN DECODER- put your vin# and it will tell all options in that vehicle
Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

neh you need the window sticker for this, vin decoders dont show packages.. there's a thread you can request the monroney w/a VIN... the +$500 Tow Package is factory tow w/full ratings.. "Pre Wired for Towing" is just every Q7 ever made, its like saying it has wheels and headlights.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (08-12-2021)
Old 01-18-2020, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
neh you need the window sticker for this, vin decoders dont show packages.. there's a thread you can request the monroney w/a VIN... the +$500 Tow Package is factory tow w/full ratings.. "Pre Wired for Towing" is just every Q7 ever made, its like saying it has wheels and headlights.
It's also on the build code sticker in the spare tire well....there's a decoder available for those online as well, if you don't have access to EKTA/EPC.

Quick Reply: Q7 Towing package