Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Towing package

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 774 Likes on 641 Posts

The VW T-reg TDI is a good choice (fully loaded), if you don't really need the extra row of seats/storage space the Audi Q7 brings to the table. If you were into off-road stuff the VW has shorter overhangs to get around easier. If planning to keep the car, consider your longer term needs/aspirations for it.

Having sourced tow parts both individually on one car and also an Audi accessory/complete tow-kit from BAV online, I can say go with the factory tow kit all the way, whichever car you get (Audi or VW, that is), as it integrates into the car's systems fully, all brand new kit, and includes literally everything you need...bolts, h/d hitch, h/d receiver, 7 pin connector, trailer harness & lighting control module...even a dust cover for the receiver. Those full tow kits are generally discounted on shipping too around a holiday, so get on that. It does have to be programmed into the car, which you can do yourself when you buy a VCDS, which you will want to do if DIYing these cars. Buying VCDS setup costs about the same as one hour of Audi labor rate they will charge to program the car for towing modules/setup, btw.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frqflyer
All will tow 5k easy without air ride. Just load your trailer to keep the tongue weight on a lighter side if you feel like it squats too much.

I'm sure some enterprising person has added helper bags or swapped the rear shocks with adjustable air shocks if you felt like you needed it later on.

I wouldn't stress about mileage as much as getting the one that has a decent time left on the TDI warranty or has service history with Audi replacing the big ticket items. HPFP is probably the main one to look for it. It seems like it is a matter when and not if for a lot of the Q7s.

Non warranty items like motor mount replacement would be nicer on the 100k+ ones. They are cheap parts but labor is nuts and as much as I try to do all repairs myself the driver side mount requires a lot of work to get it out to the point I tapped out.

​​​​
I've been out of the car game since 2011 or so, was wondering if the HPFP was still an issue for the 13/14 model years. I'll make sure to check on that.

As for the Dieselgate stuff (which I just learned about) how should I interpret this text:

"The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your Audi dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Mar 7, 2019 and 125,799 miles. Please see your Audi dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date."
Old 06-06-2022, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
The VW T-reg TDI is a good choice (fully loaded), if you don't really need the extra row of seats/storage space the Audi Q7 brings to the table. If you were into off-road stuff the VW has shorter overhangs to get around easier. If planning to keep the car, consider your longer term needs/aspirations for it.

Having sourced tow parts both individually on one car and also an Audi accessory/complete tow-kit from BAV online, I can say go with the factory tow kit all the way, whichever car you get (Audi or VW, that is), as it integrates into the car's systems fully, all brand new kit, and includes literally everything you need...bolts, h/d hitch, h/d receiver, 7 pin connector, trailer harness & lighting control module...even a dust cover for the receiver. Those full tow kits are generally discounted on shipping too around a holiday, so get on that. It does have to be programmed into the car, which you can do yourself when you buy a VCDS, which you will want to do if DIYing these cars. Buying VCDS setup costs about the same as one hour of Audi labor rate they will charge to program the car for towing modules/setup, btw.
Thanks, yeah, I'm leaning towards the VW and, either way, I plan to get all the factory towing stuff and a VCDS.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by frqflyer
All will tow 5k easy without air ride. Just load your trailer to keep the tongue weight on a lighter side if you feel like it squats too much.

I'm sure some enterprising person has added helper bags or swapped the rear shocks with adjustable air shocks if you felt like you needed it later on.

I wouldn't stress about mileage as much as getting the one that has a decent time left on the TDI warranty or has service history with Audi replacing the big ticket items. HPFP is probably the main one to look for it. It seems like it is a matter when and not if for a lot of the Q7s.

Non warranty items like motor mount replacement would be nicer on the 100k+ ones. They are cheap parts but labor is nuts and as much as I try to do all repairs myself the driver side mount requires a lot of work to get it out to the point I tapped out.

​​​​
Thought I posted this already... anyways. How should I interpret this:

"The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Jan 12, 2018 and 46,004 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date."

I'll get the HPFP taken care of quickly if it hasn't been changed recently.
Old 06-06-2022, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Steel Suspension Adds

Recently been looking at the Sumo Springs as an add on for heavier towing stability and give a little boost to the rear end. For these cars it is just an insert that fits inside the springs, and it’s an easy DIY install.

You can also find the larger 600 watt, towing specific fan assembly w/ required shroud from parts recyclers or eBay, etc, if you want the full factory tow setup.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jackdoe
Maybe this isn't the right place for it but looking for advice on what to get for a short term tow vehicle... these are my options:

2013 Q7 TDI 127k, $17500
2012 Q7 TDI 163k, $14,000
2011 Q7 TDI 93k, $20,000
2007 Q7 4.2 137k, $8,000
2007 Q7 4.2 134k, $8500 (BUT IT'S RED!!!!)
2014 Touareg TDI, 113k, $19,000

None have air ride, all seem fully optioned other than the tow package. The plan is to tow a small travel trailer for the next several months. My goal is under 4k dry weight for the trailer, and we are traveling light, so I don't expect total weight to go above 5k. What do y'all think?
You don't NEED air ride to tow. I've done it with both. My old '07 4.2 was factory tow and factory air ride. My '13 TDI is factory tow only. You cannot replace the ease of which the diesel and 8-speed transmission tow heavy things. I pulled a camper with the TDI, and other than the length (31ft pin to bumper) and fuel mileage (12.5-ish) due to constantly being on boost (guessing over 8k wet? tongue weight was easily 800lbs), the '13 had no issues. The 4.2 was used to pull a dump trailer to help fill in my back yard with dirt. 10k lb trailer, no idea how much it weighed when I filled it, but the air ride leveled it out no problem and around town it had no trouble. If the 4.2 would have been paired with the 8-speed I'm guessing highway would have been a breeze. I did also pull a uhaul trailer with my C5-A6q on it through the hills of south-central Ohio with the 4.2. Guessing that combo was 6k lbs.

Yes, I run a brake controller. No, I don't run a sway bar or WD hitch.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, I'll likely pick up some of those Sumo springs.

Well, I just acquired the 2014 Touareg and it has the OEM hitch installed. Other than having the dealer run the VIN how can I confirm or deny it having the tow package?
Old 06-09-2022, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. Decided on the '14 diesel. Shooting for sub 26ft, less than 5000k dry weight, and double axles on the trailer. Might even go down to about 20ft and 3k.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:17 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks for the info. Decided on the '14 diesel. Shooting for sub 26ft, less than 5000k dry weight, and double axles on the trailer. Might even go down to about 20ft and 3k.
Don't waste your money on the springs. Get the tongue weight right and see how it goes first.
Congrats!

Last edited by 4Driver4; 06-09-2022 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, I'll likely pick up some of those Sumo springs.

Well, I just acquired the 2014 Touareg and it has the OEM hitch installed. Other than having the dealer run the VIN how can I confirm or deny it having the tow package?
Congrats on the T-reg!! You can look on the hitch receiver itself for the load sticker; if it was factory you should the trailer wiring setup and see 700/7500lbs (IIRC) tow capacity on the load sticker. If was added later as a dealer kit, it will have a lower number on there...roughly 1000lbs drop in capacity, etc. Those T-regs are rated for higher tow loads simply because of less seats vs the Audi is a 'seven seater', so it gets de-rated from it's chassis mates that only have seating for five. It's really just a math thing...both the Audi and VW T-reg TDI can tow heavy loads no problem...it's the same TDI powertrain.

Another easy verification resource is to get the part # off your cooling fans / fans enclosure, as it will be specific to models equipped with towing...factory towing added the higher capacity, 600 watt, 42mm radiator fan, and also special 'towing' radiator shroud/fans mount. Without the the factory tow kit, you got the standard, lower wattage, 42mm cooling fan, and mounted in a different radiator shroud...still has the high capacity radiator though on the TDI, so it could be upgraded if you wanted to tow really heavy. There are members here that tow heavy w/o the tow rated cooling fan, and just watch their oil & coolant temps. You are not going to have a problem. Don't forget to service your driveline!

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 06-10-2022 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Q7 Towing package